From Miramax to Cold Packs – Reaction to Harvey Weinstein Verdict

Earlier this month Harvey Weinstein a former film producer and co-founder of the entertainment company Miramax was sentenced to 23 years in prison after being found guilty on two counts of sexual assault.

Weinstein, 68, with rapidly declining health, is very likely to spend the rest of his life behind bars. He appeared at his sentencing in a wheelchair and has heart issues.

Weinstein produced several successful films including “Pulp Fiction,” “Shakespeare in Love” and “Good Will Hunting.” He began serving his sentence at Rikers Island jail in New York. At the jail, he contracted covid-19 and was moved into isolation.

Due to the recent diagnosis, there was an uproar on social media.

Sooz Kempner, an award-winning singer tweeted, “I mean…..Harvey Weinstein getting sentenced to 23 years in jail after a lifetime of sexual abuse only to immediately die of Coronavirus doesn’t feel like justice. So get well soon Harv. And then go to jail.”

The 2017 allegations on Weinstein sparked the #MeToo social media campaign and other sexual abuse allegations. The #MeToo movement successfully gave women a voice.

Weinstein was also acquitted of two other sexual-related charges and he still is involved in civil court cases.

Some were unsatisfied with the dropping of the other two charges. If Weinstein was found guilty of the charges, he would have been given a life sentence.

Megan Conwell, 24, a Bucks County resident, thought Weinstein’s punishment did not fit the crime.

Conwell said, “I 100 percent think he should have been given a life sentence. I think he should rot in jail for the rest of his life.”

Manhattan District Attorney Cyrus Vance warns people that this is just a start and similar cases will not go unnoticed.

Vance said, “It puts sexual predators and abusive partners in all segments of society on notice.”