Bucks Announces New President

Photo+Courtesy+Bucks+Website+
Photo Courtesy Bucks Website

BCCC’s Board of Trustees has unanimously picked Dr. Felicia L. Ganther as the next president of the college.

Dr. Ganther will become the fifth president of Bucks in its 57-year history, as well as its first African-American president.

“We are delighted Dr. Felicia Ganther will be joining Bucks County Community College as our next president. The board entered this process wanting to select an individual with a strong vision and a commitment to our students, faculty, alumni and staff, as well as the ability to expand the relationship we have with the community,” said Board of Trustees Chair David Breidinger.

On April 23, the Board of Trustees held a special public meeting to formally welcome Ganther to the college.

“I look forward to be joining [the college] very shortly, and I hope that our partnership and our coming together is going to move Bucks to higher heights and deeper depths,” said Ganther.

Originally from Los Angeles, Ganther holds a Bachelor of Arts and Master of Arts from Norfolk State University, as well as a Juris Doctorate from the University of Illinois and and Ph. D. in Community Resources and Development from Arizona State University.

Ganther has a remarkable record of accomplishments as an educator, administrator, and a strong advocate for students. She has extensive experience in crisis management, student life, academic quality improvement, among others.

“I am very excited about the opportunity to build on the strong foundation at Bucks County Community College. With our continued focus on the implementation of our strategic commitments, a successful reaccreditation, and efforts towards inclusivity, Bucks will continue to innovate and reimagine how we serve and support our students towards transfer opportunities and career placement. I am honored to have been selected as the next president of the College and look forward to becoming a part of this wonderful community,” said Ganther.

Ganther was selected from a diverse and impressive pool of candidates. The search process for Bucks’ new president was carefully conducted over the past six months to ensure they would select a president capable of leading the college in the midst of a pandemic.

The college has been through many challenges over the past year, from reduced enrollment (down 15 percent this spring) to a decrease in government funding. The college reported a $5.5 million deficit and announced layoffs in some departments last month.

In the fall, Bucks is aiming to gradually welcome students back to campus by holding classes at 50 percent capacity while also offering distance learning. These are just some of the challenges Ganther faces coming into position.

“Institutions of higher education are facing a distinctive set of challenges associated with the pandemic. With Dr. Ganther’s leadership and enthusiasm, we will achieve our mission and continue to grow Bucks’ reputation as one of the pre-eminent colleges in the nation,” said Trustee Blake Eisenhart, who led the search committee charged with recommending candidates to the Board of Trustees.

Current Bucks President, Dr. Stephanie Shanblatt, announced her retirement for this June. She has been serving the college since 2012. Shanblatt will be working with Ganther over the next several months to ensure a smooth transition come July 1.

“I join the campus community, in welcoming Dr. Ganther to Bucks. Her academic credentials, experience, and commitment to the high ideals of the community college make her amply suited to help write the next chapters in Bucks’ story,” said Shanblatt.

Watch message from Dr. Ganther here: https://vimeo.com/540309099