Hurricane Ida: Climate Change In Action

Long Island Expressway Courtesy of Wikimedia Comomons

Professor Kathi Knight, a professor from Bucks County Community College with a masters in soil and crops, a bachelor’s degree in biology and economics and a PHD in ecology, as well as Professor Andrew Ippolito, a professor from Bucks with a Ph.D. in cellular and molecular biology, talk about climate change and the effects it had on Hurricane Ida.
Professor Knight explains the science behind Hurricane Ida saying, “It’s like a cyclone that increases intensely over water. Hurricanes starts off as a tropical wave, and when its conditions are right it develops into a tropical depression then a tropical storm. When it intensifies it becomes a hurricane.”
Professor Ippolito mentions, “We expect to see more storms like Ida in the future.”
There’re things we should be more aware of today, in regard to climate change and global warming.
Professor Knight says, “Most cities live on coastlines, when sea levels rise they become indicative. Someone is going to have to pay to move the cities. The next generation is going to be left with a mess.”
Professor Ippolito continues, saying that “Climate change isn’t about saving the earth, the whales or polar bears. However, climate change is about ourselves. We are essentially creating an environment that is hostile to human life.”
However, not all hope is lost.
Professor Ippolito states, “The best thing any one person can do is to make a difference in the voting booth. The politicians that we elect, which in turn are the decision makers, are the ones that have the power to ensure our future quality of life is not future harmed.”
Climate change has affected the weather quite a bit lately.
According to Professor Knight, “Climate change causes more severe and frequent storms and flooding. It causes drought in areas that weren’t historically known for drought.”
There’re ways to make healthier changes to the environment.
Professor Knight confirms this, saying “We have enough renewable resources, wind, solar and hydroelectric. We have access to run the world seven times over. But we do nothing.”