Students Blasé On Trump’s Indictments & Re-Run For President

Trump signs a bill with his former vice president

Many would say that a presidential candidate running a campaign under indictment is quite strange and we are indeed living in strange times.

As former President Donald Trump is campaigning for the Republican party(GOP) nomination under several indictments, at both the state and federal levels, in more than one state. Surprisingly, he also retains a stranglehold on the national polls; head and shoulders above his GOP opponents where, according to ABC News’ Project 538, Mr. Trump is currently enjoying a 41 percent lead among Republican voters over his closest rival Ron Desantis, with numbers of 55.3 percent vs. 14.2 percent, respectively. This is a truly astonishing feat when we consider the challenges of merely running a campaign, let alone staving off multiple indictments in both New York and Georgia, as well as two federal indictments regarding the Jan. 6 “insurrection,” and classified documents found in his possession at his sprawling Mar-a-Lago estate.

Arguably as difficult as Mr. Trump’s legal issues, are the ramifications these allegations have for the American voter. If Mr. Trump is found guilty of one, or all, of the charges, is he still able to run for office?

MJ Jordan, a second-year business major from Morrisville, felt that these allegations were a negative for Mr. Trump. However, he stated “I think his MAGA(Make American Great Again) base is loyal” and that “voting Republicans love his business savvy.” Furthermore, Jordan said he doesn’t expect any convictions because the cases are weak and will only serve to energize his base.

Maddie Devine, a second-year childhood education major from Bristol, is impressed with Trump’s resilience in the face of these allegations and expressed that she feels these legal issues will only serve to “fuel the fire” for both Republicans and Democrats and lead to unprecedented voter turnout. She also feels the New York indictment, concerning the falsifying of business records regarding hush money paid to Stormy Daniels, is the strongest case. In any event, Maddie said that disenchanted voters “could always vote for me!”

On the more cynical side, Tatiana Bodden, a second-year business major from Morrisville, stated these looming charges “don’t bother me one way or the other.” She feels that these legal proceedings are “out of her hands” and don’t really affect her.

Leana Thomas, a first-year criminal law major from Philadelphia, wondered “Why does Trump even keep on running for office?” She believes he will be strongly supported by his loyal base and, interestingly, doesn’t expect any of the charges to stick.
Opinions on these looming indictments, and their effect on the upcoming presidential election, are varied. Add to this the fact that incumbent President Joe Biden is currently under an impeachment inquiry from House Republicans, for his alleged involvement in his son Hunter Biden’s shady overseas business dealings, and this election is shaping up to be one for the ages, indeed.