Bucks Soccer Blanks PSU York

Wednesday, September 17, the Bucks men’s soccer team saw some beautiful weather – the fans saw a beautiful performance as well. The Centurions were looking to rebound from a 6-0 loss and move to 2-1 on the season. Only Penn State York stood in their way.

Bucks’ Jason Twelves started the scoring for the Centurions. His two early goals set the tone for the rest of the game. York seemed to give in to what looked to be a far superior Bucks’ team after a third team goal. Before the half the Centurions tallied 2 more goals to make the score 5-0 at halftime.

Bucks managed to maintain control throughout the game. The Centurion players appeared faster, stronger, taller, and more agile. Almost every ball managed to find its way to the head of a Bucks’ player out-leaping his opponent. When the offense wasn’t working deep in the York zone, the defense was busy keeping York away from the net.

The Centurions never let go of the momentum they grabbed early on. York attempted to shift the second-half tide, but their hopes were dashed by Steve Immordino’s sixth team goal. Bucks moved to 2-1 on the season following the 6-0 victory.

Goalkeepers Ed Hainesworth and Dan Lahart both turned in exceptional performances in the shutout. Twelves tallied the first two goals and narrowly missed a hat trick. Ryan Mehuish had a goal and two assists, while Immordino, Eric Mika, and J.J. Sands each had a goal apiece.

“We lost our last game 6-0, and this was a definite improvement,” said head coach Brian Laiacona. “We were looking to get back on track and stay in the win column. I was very pleased with our performance.”

As of press-time the Centurions were looking to move to 3-1 on the season Saturday, September 21, hosting Ocean County College at 1 p.m.

Despite the win, depth is an issue coach Laiacona is still concerned about. The Centurions are still looking for a few more players to solve that problem. Anyone interested should stop by the Gymnasium’s Athletic Office for more information.