Laiacona Takes Over State Champion Bucks

24-year-old Brian Laiacona is an incredibly busy guy. Not only has he taken on the responsibilities as head coach of the men’s soccer team at Bucks, but he is also finishing up his Master’s degree in Sport/Recreation Administration at Temple University.

Growing up in Long Island, NY, Laiacona began playing soccer at five-years-old. He went on to be the goaltender for Sachem High School in Long Island, where he graduated in 1997.

He earned his Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration with a minor in Athletic Coaching in 2001 from State University-New York (Oswego). He played for the school’s soccer team and worked as the treasurer and supervisor for the Intramural Sports and Recreation Program.

When Laiacona came to live in Pennsylvania, he chose Bucks County over the city. In a way it reminded him of Long Island.

“It’s a good place to live without all the problems of the city,” he says.

Last year Laiacona worked as an assistant coach for the soccer team. When last season’s head coach Rick Brownell left to take over the program at Arcadia University, Laiacona knew he could handle the job.

Laiacona describes himself as a tough guy who is fair and friendly with his team.

“You have to adapt your coaching style to your different players,” he says. “If you have a shy, timid player, you can’t be tough. Every player is different and responds to different techniques.”

Laiacona likes the added responsibility that comes with being on top. He can relate to the players because only three years ago he was in the same boat.

The position brings a lot of pressure, but Laiacona has garnered plenty of experience. It’s very different from assistant coaching.

Having much of the same players from last year’s state championship team has helped ease him into the head coaching job.

One of the most important things for the season is to “maintain a winning attitude,” he says. Laiacona is encouraging everyone to come out and support the team whenever they can.

“I don’t like to be bored,” Laiacona says.

With a new head coach at the helm, the rest of the soccer team’s season should be anything but boring.

To find out when the next home soccer game is, check out the schedule at bucks-news.com.