A Dancer In Our Midst

A Dancer In Our Midst

Bucks freshman Juliana Lykins – yes, the same Juliana Lykins that edits our Student Life section – is a Jack of all trades, or you could say, a Jane of all trades.

Juliana, 19, is a dancer, writer, and radio personality.

The Bensalem resident is a member of the Bucks dance squad. She enjoys an eventful and rewarding life.

Juliana began dancing ballet under her long time instructor, Carlee Houston, when she was 2-years-old. She moved onto the Pennsylvania Ballet and played in their production of “The Nutcracker” from 1992-94.

After graduating from Bensalem High School in 2002, Juliana enrolled at Bucks in spring of 2003 as a broadcasting and journalism major. She joined the dance team this semester and looks forward to the season.

“I love doing [dance] for exercise,” Juliana said. “When you get moving, it makes you happy.”

Besides her work with the dance team, Juliana dances in shows coordinated by her mother, Elsie. She performed to the tune of Michael Jackson’s hit song “Thriller” for the Bucks County Board of Realtor’s talent show last Thursday.

When Juliana is not dancing, she is busy with her job at 94.1 WYSP. She is currently the youngest person in Philadelphia to be on-air.

In October of 2002, Juliana began her radio career as an intern for the “Matt and Huggy Show.” She soon carved out her own niche as “Pippi” – an obvious reference to her red hair – on the show “Rockers,” which airs from 12-2 a.m. every Friday night.

“It’s the greatest thing that ever happened to me,” Juliana said of her time at the station.

She has attended concerts throughout the region for WYSP. After shows, she interviews bands backstage and even takes them around the city.

Among the many bands Juliana has worked with on “Rockers” are Slayer, Chris Cornell, Anthrax, Shai Halud, Lamb of God, and Boy Sets Fire.

She also spends time doing promotions for WYSP. She frequently travels to bars and clubs to broadcast for the station.

Juliana assists on the Eagles’ Pre and Post-Game shows as a tech backup following the station’s weekly game simulcast.

Despite what may seem like a dream come true, Juliana does not intend to pursue a career on the air.

“Radio is more of a novelty act,” she said. “I look more toward my future in writing and legitimate journalism.”

As the Student Life Editor for the Centurion – yes, the paper you are reading – Juliana is keeping focused on her career goal as a journalist.

She is also currently writing her first book “Darwin of Locke” and has already had some of her work published in magazines.

For now, Juliana tries to create as much time as possible for dancing. If her job permits, she will travel to Pittsburgh with the team for the regional dance competition in November.

She does not foresee a professional dancing career in her future. She just likes dancing for recreation and meeting new people.

“I’m looking for dude to watch me dance – honestly – and hopefully, one will pick me up,” she said in all seriousness.

Juliana hopes to transfer from Bucks to finish her four-year degree in the next few years. She is especially interested in Rowan University, Rutgers, and Stockton College of New Jersey.