Bucks Soccer Repeats!

One state championship wasn’t enough for Bucks soccer – they needed two in a row, baby.

Playing in their second straight EPCC State championship, the squad closed out their season with a 2-0 win over Penn State-Berks County on Nov. 2. Bucks finished the season with a 15-1 record.

Steve Immordino, one of the team’s captains, scored both of the team’s goals in the shutout.

“It was unbelievable,” Immordino told the Courier Times. “It’s still setting in now. I can’t even describe it. That was probably the game of my life.”

The team’s only loss was an away game at Penn College. One of their goals coming into the season was defending their home field.

“We wanted to go out on top,” Immordino said. “We never lost a game on our home field. We wanted to go out undefeated on our home field. A lot was riding on it.”

Bucks entered the playoffs with home field advantage. They defeated Penn State-Abington, 3-1, in the semifinals. They went on to shutout Delaware County Community College, 4-0, to bring them to the state championship.

Going into halftime of the state finals, Bucks led 1-0.

“We went into halftime and I told the guys that the team that gets the next goal is going to win the game,” Bucks coach Brian Laiacona said. “I guarantee it. If we score next, they’re going to fold. They’re not going to be able to handle it.”

Over the last two seasons Bucks owns a 31-2 record, with two state championships, under two different coaches. This season, Laiacona took over for departed coach Rick Brownell after serving as an assistant for the previous state champions.

“It was nothing I anticipated at the beginning of the year,” he told the Courier Times. “I didn’t anticipate it happening the way it did, didn’t know what players I had. But I had a great bunch of players.”