Men’s soccer season ends

Photo of the Bucks mens soccer teams last game.

The 2011 Bucks men’s soccer season faced countless injuries, terrible weather, and an inexperienced team with the Centurions not having the season end the way they had hoped for witha place in the playoffs.
     Their final record was 7-12, but the record alone doesn’t convey the season highlights of a team that grew together and the adversity they faced.
     Centurions coach Justin Burroughs was the only man leading the 22-man team with all weight and responsibility for the season upon him.
     When asked to come up with a phrase that summed up the season Burroughs said, “It was challenging with all the injuries, weather delays, and inexperience, so yeah it was just really challenging.” 
     “I think we did okay, scoring wasn’t usually an issue, but overall I would probably say it was average,” said Burroughs regarding the overall performance of theteam’s offense this season.
     On the defensive side of the ball the Centurions were not as good, according to the coach who said, “The inexperience definitely led to some mistakes, but to be fair we did have a lot of injuries and player absences, and it’s hard to get a defense in place when parts of it are constantly changing.”
     “I actually thought the goaltending was pretty good, they usually kept us in the game, but the defense probably hurt them at times,” said Burroughs.
     The Centurions also featured a huge scorer in forward Dan Foley, who fell just short of cracking the country’s top 50 points list. This happened, despite Foley missing the first five games of the season.
     When it came to the positive highlights of the season  Burroughs spoke fondly of his team by saying, “I was just impressed with the overall maturation of the freshmen players; they jelled and bonded as the season wore on. Dan Foley was definitely a great addition to the team and proved to be a great player.”
     On the negative end  Burroughs said problems included “the overall inexperience and the fact that we were not able to do enough to make the playoffs.”
     All in all the Centurions had some real bright spots in a season where they did not get the breaks.
     The Bucks Centurions played in Region 19 of the NJCAA, which is the toughest conference in the country. This meant that the level of competition was much greater than most realized.
     The team also had mostly new players with only one player returning from the year before. The team was young and had to fight growing pains throughout the season.
     A pivotal moment in the season was when the Centurions defeated a scholarship school in Cecil College, and took another one in Ocean County College to overtime. They were (2-1) in overtime games, and defeated a Bergen team that finished ninth in the nation.