Bucks secure playoff spot with win over Cougars

While snow and ice fell outside the Bucks gymnasium on Saturday Feb. 11, the Centurions were on fire downing Lehigh-Carbon County Community college 66-58 in a possible playoff preview.
The win by the Centurions snapped Lehigh-Carbon Counties’ four game winning streak, and nudged them into fourth place ahead of the Cougars in the Eastern Pennsylvania Collegiate Conference standings with a makeup game against Philadelphia Community college set for Mon. Feb. 13. Leading the charge in scoring for the Centurions yet again, was guard Emmanuel Pittman, scoring 14 points while adding  four assists and four steals. The Centurions spread the ball around with eight of 10 players figuring into the scoring.
With strong contributions throughout the lineup, the Centurions took the lead seven minutes into the first half and never looked back. After falling behind early 7-0, the Centurions were able to use their noticeable size difference to out muscle the Cougars. When asked what contributed to the big win, head coach Steve Coyne emphasized the Centurions team play. “It was a team effort from top to bottom, we got contributions from up and down the line up,” says Coyne. One player that literally stood out from the rest was center Tariq Benn, who filled up scored 10 points, eight rebounds, three assists, two blocks and a steal. The Cougar’s smaller lineup struggled mightily on the boards without a clear answer to Brown. “When he has his head in the game, he’s unstoppable,” noted Coyne after the game. “When focused for 40 minutes he (Benn) is the best player in the league,” says Coyne. When further questioned about Benn, Coyne assertively stated that the powerful center needs to play well for the team to succeed. The Centurions closed out the first half with a sizable 33-23 lead, with their aggressive defense forcing the Cougars into tough shots that just wouldn’t fall. “They’re a big team, we need to shoot better to have a chance to win,” says Cougars first year Head Coach Mike Iorio.
Coming out of the break forward Michael “Knockdown” Desirderio drained a long range three giving the Centurions a 12 point lead, their largest of the game. Unfortunately the lead failed to last as the Cougars 8-0 run cut the score to 38-34.
The Cougars  defense forced the Centurions into almost 20 turnovers, keeping them within striking distance even after being outplayed. “Not enough,” says Coach Iorio jokingly after the game, referring to the Centurions turnover struggles.
“They played well against our height. They double teamed our big guys down low to keep it close,” says Coyne, complimenting the Cougars for keeping the score close for much of the game.
As the second half wore on, the Centurions used their longer bench and size advantage to distance themselves from the scrappy Cougars. Midway through the half, the Centurions went on a quick scoring blitz, ending with an emphatic breakaway dunk by Benn.
After Cougars guard Adrian Brown missed a three from the corner with just over a minute left, the Centurions secured the rebound and ran out the clock. “We played flat, with no momentum or energy,” says Coach Iorio. Clearly disappointed in the effort, Iorio emphasized the importance of the loss, “This was a big game. We were fighting for fourth place.”
Centurion guard David May chipped in eight points, seven rebounds, four assists and a steal. May credited the team’s collective defense and ball movement for the win.
May also singled out forward Tyler Nicol, who recorded the games only double-double with 13 points and 10 rebounds, as a catalyst for the team’s spirited effort. “Tyler’s energy is awesome,” says May. “He brings that when everything else is lacking.”
The final game of the regular season takes place on Monday Feb. 13 against Philadelphia Community College. “With Benn being from Philadelphia, I really think he’ll shine Monday,” says Coyne, highlighting Benn as a player to keep an eye during their next matchup. The game between Philadelphia will determine the bracket seeding for the upcoming EPCC playoffs.
With playoff games starting Wens. Feb. 15 at 7 p.m., the team seems confident in its chances to succeed. “We could go deep as long as we all play together,” says May. If Saturday’s game against Lehigh-Carbon County is any indicator, a long playoff run may be in the Centurions’ near future.