Centurions defeat Lehigh in round one of playoffs

The Buck’s Centurions rode the backs of guards Emmanuel Pittman and center Tariq Benn to their first playoff win of 2012. Benn scored 17 and Pittman scored 25 to give the Centurions a 83-70 win over Lehigh Carbon Community College on Wednesday, February 15. The Centurions exploded at the very start and looked as if they could ride this initial lead all the way to a win. Lehigh would, however, make a few runs in the second half to make the contest competitive.  The Centurians know they will need more people contributing on the offensive end if they are to win the championship. The next highest scorer for the Centurions was forward Tyler Nichol with 8. The first half was played with the intensity of a playoff with both teams exchanging buckets for much of the half. By the end of the first half the Centurions had pulled away slightly with a 36-27 lead. The real action finally began in the 2nd half when Lehigh scored the first points, but the Centurions answered right back with Benn powering through the middle for some dominating dunks. The morale of Lehigh had to be hurt as they had some serious trouble stopping the big man. Pittman was white hot beyond the 3 point line nailing four of his attempts. Defensively Nichol and point guard Sean Ritter shut down a lot of Lehigh’s offensive attempts. When Ritter was near the net with the ball he was not afraid to take some hard hits on the way to the basket for a layup. Bucks was able to jump out to a twenty point lead behind these efforts, but Lehigh was not going away that easily as they slowly crept back into the game. Lehigh scored several unanswered points, but the Centurions were able to keep a comfortable lead. Both teams put up a great fight for the ball and the game was action packed for most of the night before the Centurions finally closed out the game with a win.