Bucks men’s baseball beat by Phantoms

Bucks men’s baseball beat by Phantoms

The Bucks baseball team was unable to capitalize on a solid performance by starting pitcher Matt Creevey this past Wednesday, falling to the Delaware County Community College Phantoms by a score of 6-3.

The freshman right hander threw a complete game for the Centurions, only to be out dueled by hard throwing right hander Kevin Sessa. The Phantoms starter threw a complete game of his own, limiting the Centurions to only three runs while striking out six.

Unfortunately for Creevey the Centurion bats were unable to give him enough support offensively, wasting a solid outing from the converted reliever. Although Bucks matched Delaware in hits they struggled with runners in scoring position while stranding seven runners in all.

“Matt did a great job, we were happy with his performance,” said Bucks’ head coach Donald Perry, who experimented with Creevey as a starter due in part because of his success in recent relief appearances. “We got runners on but could not get them in, we just don’t get timely hits,” said Perry who signified the lack of clutch hits as an ongoing issue plaguing the team.

Along with a lack of timely hitting, the Centurions failed to execute defensively and on the base paths. Fundamental breakdowns in defense proved to doom the team, who committed five errors that lead to four unearned runs.

“Matt pitched well but errors killed us,” said catcher and team captain Ryan Calabro, who drove in one of Bucks’ three runs. “We hit the ball well but the errors really hurt,” said Calabro, who tried to preach fundamentals to his teammates throughout the game.

After two scoreless innings the Centurions got on the board first after left fielder David McCoach knocked in center fielder and leadoff man Kristofer Bires. Unfortunately, after loading the bases with only one out third basemen Kevin Lindquist grounded into an inning ending 6-4-3 double play, squandering a chance to break the game open.

After Creevey allowed the first two batters to reach base in the top of the fourth, Phantoms shortstop Nicholas Fleming plated both runners with a single to give Delaware a 2-1 lead. The next frame saw Bucks tie it back up after an error by Phantoms third basemen Andrew Czepeil allowed Creevey to score from third.

Delaware responded in the top of the fifth by capitalizing on two Centurion errors, scoring three runs after sending seven men to the plate. Working around base runners must of the day; Creevey was one strike away from escaping the jam but allowed a two run double to first basemen Glen Stanners.

“Matt got out of some jams. He kept us in the game,” said Perry who seemed quite pleased with the young hurlers poise.

Unfortunately the Centurion bats failed to come alive, mustering only one run in the final three innings thanks to the dominance of the Phantoms hurler. After allowing a run in three straight innings Sessa was able to settle down and retire six of the last seven batters he faced, using his electric fastball to strike out Calabro to end the game.

Coach Perry emphasized the loss of outfield Jonathon Unangst, who was suspended for being ejected in Bucks’ previous game, played a role in their offensive struggles. Also, Bucks’ first basemen Dustin Singer was noticeably rusty after returning to the lineup for the first time after recovering from a recent concussion.

With key regional matchup on the horizon, Perry was confident that Creevey would get another start after an impressive showing against Delaware.

Unfortunately it was not enough to prevent Bucks from failing to 2-16 on the season. “The same weaknesses have been hurting us all year,” said Perry, who blamed poor base running as one of the culprits for the Centurion’s subpar record.

“If we make the routine plays we’ll be fine,” said Calabro enthusiastically, still optimistic about his team’s chances to improve with 12 games still left to play on the schedule.