Mustangs overpower Centurions

The Bucks baseball team lost again to Montgomery County Community College on April 24, allowing the Mustang’s potent lineup to dominate to the tune of 11-5.
The game got off to a rocky start for the Centurions and starting pitcher Zach Stuebing, who, after retiring the first two batters allowed four runs in the first inning. After a scoreless second, the Mustangs added another three runs off Stuebing in the third to break the score wide open.
“We could have played better, but we let it get away from us a little early,” said center fielder and leadoff man Jonathon Unangst, who shined in his return to the lineup after being ejected in the previous matchup between the Mustangs.
Montgomery’s heart of the order gave the Centurions pitching staff fits all afternoon, as their 3-6 hitters combined for eight hits, nine runs and six RBI. Unfortunately, Bucks was stymied by Montgomery right hander Justin Cunnane whose complete game helped seal the victory for the Mustangs.
Cunnane used his deceptive curveball early and often to keep the Centurion hitters off balanced, totaling eight strikeouts on the day. “He had a good curve with late break,” said Unangst, who struck out twice against Cunnane but chipped in three hits while also scoring twice.
 Second basemen Dustin Singer also went 2-4 with a pair of runs batted in, who along with Unangst were the lone bright spots of an otherwise bleak offensive output. “We started out badly which put us in a big hole,” said head coach Donald Perry, stating that this characteristic has been a recurring theme throughout the season.
After finding themselves down 9-3 after six innings the Centurions turned to left handed reliever Joseph Rybicki, who worked around trouble in the seventh to help stop the bleeding. “Joe came to us midway through the season and established himself in many ways as a pitcher and in the field,” said Perry of the freshman from Lower Moreland.
After spurts of offense, the Centurions finally responded in the bottom half of the seventh with two runs thanks in part to three Mustang errors. However, the Bucks rally was short lived as Montgomery came right back to score two more runs in the eighth to stretch their lead to six.   After settling down in the eighth, Cunnane was able to help his own cause by snagging a screaming line drive off the bat of Rybicki to retire the side. The freshman right hander retired the Centurions with ease in the ninth, striking out the final batter to cap off the game for the Mustangs.
“It took us a few at-bats to get going, we didn’t really hit the ball until the fourth inning,” said Unangst, who highlight the Centurions slow start as a factor in the outcome.
The Montgomery players weren’t the only problem facing the Centurions, as questionable calls seemed to plague the team throughout the game. Many of the Centurions voiced their displeasure with the home plate umpire’s large strike zone, especially after a debatable third strike call against shortstop Matthew Creevey in the fourth.
“How can you call that a strike,” exclaimed Unangst, who argued that the ball was well below the batter’s knees.
The first base umpire also missed an apparent interference call on Montgomery first basemen Tim Sugalski that eventually resulted in Stuebing being thrown out at third after trying to stretch a double into a triple in the sixth inning. “You just gotta play through it,” said Unangst, showing poise for a high school kid out of Penn Ridge.
The loss drops the Centurions record to 3-22 on the season with only two games remaining on the schedule. The Bucks players will look to end on a high note with a doubleheader against Camden County College, with team captain Ryan Calabro and Unangst scheduled to take the mound.
Hopefully the Centurions can use the final two games to help build momentum towards next season.