Centurion soccer team wins home opener

Centurion soccer team wins home opener

The Bucks’ Men’s soccer team enjoys a home-opening 7-0 win versus Lehigh Carbon, and another blow-out victory against the Community College of Philadelphia, 10-0.

Having spent the first two weeks of the season on the road, playing six games and compiling a 1-3-2 record over that span, the men’s soccer team was happy to be home again. After two offensive explosions in the first two games at home, the team may never want to travel again!

On Sept. 17, the Centurions handily defeated Lehigh Carbon, as captains Jim Traynor and Mike Klimowicz led by example. Traynor scored a hat-trick, netting three goals to provide more than ample support for Klimowicz, who posted his second shutout in goal.

Other goal-scorers for the team were Sean Kurtz, Erik Mazurkiewicz, Carlos Pena, and Daniel Robinson. That the Centurions did not give up a goal also spoke to the strength of the defensive effort, as well as the net-minding by Klimowicz.

The tally of seven goals in one game nearly doubled the team’s offensive output for the first six games, including the Centurions being shut out three times. Coach Justin Burroughs commented on his team’s offensive awakening in the first two games at home.

“Obviously, it feels good to come home and get a couple of wins after having to travel so much,” Burroughs said. “We knew if we just concentrated on ball possession, passing and communication the goals would start coming.”

Sophomore forward Kevin Hilton, 21, of Yardley heartily agreed with his coach. “When you play away games, you have an hour or two on the road, and it’s easy to lose focus. Now that we’re at home, we come right down to the field and stress fundamentals, possession, 2-touch drills, etc.”

Hilton contributed a goal, and an assist in Saturday’s rout of the CC of Philadelphia. His shot, a laser from just inside the penalty box, dipped just under the crossbar.

Arguably, the game’s most electrifying goal came on a near-side corner kick by Daniel Robinson that would have made David Beckham proud. The high arc and topspin carried it perfectly into the upper left “nineties”, past an opposing keeper that could do little but watch.

Another key contributor of Saturday’s match was freshmen forward Pawel Jelski, of Perkasie. Jelski narrowly missed his third goal on the last shot of the game, as his shot had too much on it and sailed high and wide right of the goal. “Guys were telling me to shoot it, and it would have been nice to go in, to get the hat-trick.”

The Centurions seemed to put on a goal-scoring clinic, as Jared Dickson joined Jelski in scoring two goals. Daniel Robinson, James Traynor, Carlos Pena, and Sean Kurtz also pitched in a goal apiece. Unfortunately for the CC of Philadelphia, the best shot they put on goal resulted in an “own goal”, which accounted for one of the 10 goals against.

Perhaps lost in the offensive shuffle was Mike Klimowicz’s third shutout of the season, fueled by several solid saves early, and sealed late by another solid defensive effort. If ever there was a time to minimize mistakes, this game seemed to be it.

The only blemish to the Centurions’ outstanding play was the “chatter” that accompanied it. Up 6-0 at halftime, several players questioned the referee’s calls, or the lack thereof, which Coach Burroughs quickly addressed at the half. “Try not to play overly aggressive, which might incite retaliation and lead to injury, and stop jawing at the ref…”

“Sometimes it’s difficult to dial back the intensity,” Jelski said, “You simply continue to play hard until the end and to do everything that Coach expects from you.” The players are trained to play hard, to make crisp passes, to communicate, but above all, to put the ball in the net.

It certainly showed in the statistics. The one-sided victory could have been worse, as several offensive chances by the Centurions were near-misses. Additionally, when the opposing team was down a man due to an injury, Coach Burroughs responded in kind to keep things as fair as possible.

“I tried to even things out during substitutions, without making it obvious so as to show up the opposing team.” Substitutions in the second half also included putting defensive players at forward, and forwards in the backfield. Jelski said the coach does this to “see what we can do at various positions in case we’re ever needed to fill in later.”

Yet, the game continued in the second half much as it did in the first, with the Centurions tacking on an additional four goals. One or two more saves by Klimowicz ensured the outcome that was decided much, much earlier in the game.

Afterwards, the opposing coach, Ron Burnett of the Community College of Philadelphia, praised the skill of the Bucks’ players. “I actually coached here 25 years ago, so I know the quality of the players that comes from this area. Not just the quality of the players coming in, but how well coached they are in high school as well. They played a great game against us, despite us being short-handed from injuries.”

When asked if he could take a positive element from the game, Coach Burnett simply stated, “We’re in a building phase right now, so it’s tough, but we’ll keep working.” As will the Centurions, who hope that these winning ways at home are here to stay, at Home, Sweet Home!