Not a “Ruf” start for Darin

Darin Ruf, playing in his first major league game for the Philadelphia Phillies last Tuesday against the Washington Nationals, hit a home run in his very first at-bat.

The Phillies, perhaps using their last nine games to experiment with the rookie, put him in left field instead of at first base.

The rookie was given the name “Babe”, after the legendary Babe Ruth, while playing for the Double-A Reading Phillies. He earned the nickname by leading all of the minor league in homeruns this season.

He had 38 homeruns this season with Reading, knocking Ryan Howard, who had 37, out of the record book for having the most homeruns in a single season.

Bucks’ student Serg Malyshka, 21, a business administration major residing in Richboro, questioned whether or not Ruf is ready for the big leagues.

“He has obviously proved that he has what it takes in the minors,” Malyshka said “but does he have what it takes to play in the majors just yet?”

During his first at-bat in the bottom of the second inning, Ruf answered that question. With the count at 3-2, Ruf slammed the ball deep into left-center field for a solo homerun.

The blast tied the game 1-1 and made his first major league hit a homerun, a feat that is not often accomplished by rookies in the major leagues.

On May 23rd, 2009, John Mayberry Jr. was the last Phillies player to hit a homerun for his first major league hit, struck against the New York Yankees.

After jogging around the bases, Ruf came back to a very quiet dugout. Even the batboy ignored a fist pound from him.

As the players tried to hide their smiles, they gave the rookie the silent treatment and waited until after the inning was over to high-five and congratulate their newest teammate.

At the top of the next inning, Ruf jogged his way to his position at left field and was greeted with a standing ovation by the fans.

Jeremy Reiff, 20, an engineering major from Langhorne, thought that Ruf earned his spot on the team for the rest of this year to play as well as a chance to compete for a 25-man roster spot right out of Spring Training next year.

“The Phillies should give him a second look next season,” Reiff said. “If he doesn’t make the club, let him spend most of the season in AAA to give him time to “mature”. He needs time in the outfield to adjust.”

Ruf helped the Phillies to a 6-3 victory over the Nationals, but that isn’t the only thing he helped the Phillies achieve that night.

Ruf became the 24th player to hit a homerun for the Phillies this season, which set a franchise record. The previous record was set at 23 back in 1996.

One might say he had a good first day. Phillie fans hope that his impressive start translates for the long haul.