Eagles remain troubled

The firing of Eagles defensive coordinator Juan Castillo begs the question; are Eagles fans happy where their team stands?

It seems like the Eagles’ luck—or lack thereof–has reached a tipping point, blowing a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter to the Detroit Lions, losing 26-23 in OT. Michael Vick threw two interceptions and lost one fumble; the Eagles rank 31st in points and turnovers.

Defensive Coordinator Juan Castillo was the scapegoat, fired two days after Sunday’s loss. Coach Andy Reid stated how hard it was to let go of a friend, but that it was necessary. Secondary Coach Todd Bowles will take over as the team’s defensive coordinator.

“I think this move was beneficial. Fans have wanted him booted out since the beginning of last season, but even with Juan gone the whole team still needs to be fixed. I’m hoping Castillo’s firing will bring a spark back in the team and maybe we’ll see them play with purpose,” said Brittany Marcella, 20, communications major.

Eagles Cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha might be the prime example Marcella speaks about; Asomugha believes a shift in defensive philosophy was necessary.

“Most of the blame goes to defense giving up seven 4th quarter leads. Juan shouldn’t have been hired in the first place because he only coached high school, and the NFL is completely different. Andy Reid had so much pressure that he had to make a move by firing Juan,” offered Kyle Stephan, 20, communications major.

Among many NFL circles, it is believed that this was a “panic” move by Andy Reid, as Eagles owner Jeffery Lurie stated anything less than a postseason berth would result in Reid’s firing. Currently, the Eagles are 3-3 and welcome the undefeated Atlanta Falcons, led by Matt Ryan, to Philadelphia following Philly’s bye week.

“We have to make some drastic changes to make it to the Super Bowl. First thing is that Vick needs to control the ball better. Second thing is that the defense needs to be more confident in their blitzing,” said Nick Kinney, 20, communications major.

In three games, Michael Vick has eight interceptions and three fumbles. He only has a 58.9% completion percentage, and some writers have even started calling for backup QB Nick Foles to take Vick’s starting job.

“I love it [the firing]. It’s a big move by Reid. I think the Eagles can still make it. The offensive line needs to protect Vick and special teams need to stop letting the other teams get so much yards on them,” said Ryan Werner, 20, elementary education major.

“This move really surprised me. I thought defense was doing okay but just not great. I’m surprised to see Marty (Mornhinweg, Eagles Assistant Head Coach) still around. I hope he’s the next one to go. The Eagles usually do well after the bye week so hopefully we’ll some improvement,” said Steve Swiggum, 20, business major.

Since Reid’s tenure began with the Eagles in 1999, the Eagles are 13-0 following their bye week.

With the Eagles at a .500 record, students could again be weighing in on another coach’s firing reaction sooner rather than later.