The Centurions fall to the Thaddeus Stevens Bulldogs

The Centurions received injury to insult when they lost their guard Shane Davis early in the game.

Guard Kenneth Randall put another nail in the coffin of the Centurions (1-10), downing 28 points in the 85-72 Thaddeus Stevens Bulldogs (8-10) win on Jan. 29.

“I think we did pretty well. We definitely did better on the offensive boards and on defense,” Randall said. “I was able to drive to the net more often, which is better for me.”

Turnovers again plagued the Centurions, who committed 22 in all by games end.

The lone bright spot for Bucks was their activity around the glass, thanks in large to Tyler Nichol. The forward led all Bucks players with 18 points and 12 rebounds.

“I think we played well. We played better than we have all year, but we just tend to go through stretches where we don’t score and that’s what kills us,” Nichol said.

The Centurions also suffered a blow to one of their key players in the first half when guard Shane Davis pulled his hamstring and could not return.

“They thought it was just a cramp so Shane tried to return, but he actually made it worse,” Bucks coach Perry said.

The Bulldogs were in control of the game with just over three minutes to play in the first half when Nichol took over offensively, scoring seven straight points to cut the score to 30-24. But before the half ended the Bulldogs’ would go on a 9-0 run and never look back.

“In the first half we did not do very well. We hung in there for a little bit but then gave up three quick three pointers right before halftime and those really deflated us,” Perry said.

The game started fast when Stevens jumped out to a 6-3 lead, but Nichol paced the Centurions with five points to help them recover at 8-7. The Bulldogs drove to the net early and often while the Centurions worked consistently off the pick and roll.

After a lazy turnover by the Centurions the Bulldogs started to get some breathing room at 13-7. Right around the halfway mark of the half the Centurions got back in the game at 15-13.

Although both Stevens’ big men struggled to provide consistent scoring, Dan Sitch and his backup Hamid King drew enough attention to open up shooting lanes for their teammates. In comparison, the Centurions struggled to get chances inside the paint and had difficulty defending the Bulldogs in transition.

The lack of transition defense and turnovers would become a general theme throughout the game for Bucks.

The Bulldogs began the second half just as they finished the first, widening their lead by 16 and bring the score to 47-31.

“We picked it up after halftime. I think our defense was intense and we got the rebounds more often,” said Randall after the game.

The Bulldogs’ transition game continued to give the Centurions fits defensively. Frustration began to boil over as the Centurions committed numerous fouls, helping to build an almost insurmountable 53-35 Bulldogs’ lead.

But the hard play seemed to ignite the Centurions, who later rallied with a 19-8 run to cut the deficit by 12. Unfortunately, the Centurion shooters went cold and the Bulldogs went on their own run to bring the score to 74-56.

The advantage allowed the Bulldogs to give Sitch some extra rest, which proved valuable down the stretch for the big man as he helped stifle the Centurions offense until the final buzzer.

“I think we played pretty well. There were a few mistakes, a lot more turnovers than we would like to have, but overall we were able to get back to doing what we normally do and were able to pull it out,” a Bulldogs’ assistant coach said after the game.

Coach Perry was not as upbeat.

“In the second part of the second half we really came alive and hit some key three pointers,” Perry said. “The defense really hung in there, but we just wore ourselves down at the end.”