Lady Centurions unbelievable in loss

After a long season of figuring out their identity, the Lady Centurions were at their best against Community College of Philadelphia but came up short 67-58 on Jan. 31.

“As a team it was pretty amazing. Nobody put their head down early and we got even more physical in the second half,” Centurions forward Tahirah Williams said.

CCP had just enough gas in the tank to hold off a fierce second half Centurion rally.

A tenacious defense helped CCP break out to an early 10-0 lead, harassing the Centurions into numerous turnovers.

The game’s tide turned when Williams finally got her team on the board, sparking a small run to get within 12-5.

But that was as close as CCP would let Bucks get during the first half as they responded with a 12-0 run to go ahead 24-5. Guard Yasmin Montgomery was at the forefront of the run and ended up with eight points for the half.

Bucks turned up the physicality a notch as they went on their own 6-2 run. The stretch saw the Centurions out rebound and defend CCP, limiting second looks and forcing multiple turnovers.

After a hiccup by the Centurion offense they then took to the fast break, exposing CCP’s transition defense before finally hitting a wall and going into halftime down 38-18.

Montgomery came out of the break on fire, leading CCP on an 8-1 run to extend their lead to 46-19.

The Centurions then started hitting on all cylinders offensively, striking back with their own 8-0 run to cut the deficit to 19.

Although turnovers continued to plague Bucks, CCP failed to capitalize at the free throw line or around net. The Centurions scrappy defense worked hard all night to keep the game close despite their offensive struggles.

Yet, their hard work defensively wasn’t enough as CCP was able to widen the gap with quick 6-2 run. With the game seemingly slipping away, Centurions’ guard Morgan Grottel stepped up with two straight steals that ignited Bucks on a 14-2 run to bring the score to 56-45.

Williams was the catalyst of the rally as she led Bucks during the stretch in scoring and rebounding.

“I don’t really get too hype ever. I just stay calm, stay in my zone and make foul shots. That’s what counts in the end,” Williams said.

CCP looked visibly frazzled as their lead dipped under double digits, while the Centurions grew more confident.

Yet a strength of the Centurions all night came back to bite them in the end. Struggles from the foul line in the waning minutes prevented Bucks from completing the comeback.

Still, the game remained close until the end as the Centurions finished strong leading the scoring 8-4, but still fell short.

After the game the Philadelphia head coach seemed fortunate to get out of Bucks County with a win.

“We could have played better, but it went well,” he said.

Centurion head coach Lori Sullivan is usually always positive about her team, but seemed overwhelmed with appreciation on this night.

“Unbelievable. (The team) left it all out on the floor and I could not have asked anything more from them tonight. It was a total team effort, if I could have put them all on the floor that’s what I would have done,” Sullivan said after the game.

A nice moment came near the end of the game when third year Centurions guard Nicole Nasta walked off the court for the last time.

“To me it sucks, I like playing basketball,” Nasta said. “It’s alright though, I felt like I played well during my two years here.”