Fatal flaw dooms Centurions against Dukes

Focusing on attention to detail can seem tedious sometimes, but letting it slide can cost you.

That’s what the Bucks County Centurions (2-8) found out in their 8-6 loss to the Cumberland Dukes (4-7) on April 19 at the Newtown campus. A lineup card mistake erased two Centurion runs which helped give the Dukes their margin of victory.

“I had (outfielder Joe Aloia) playing another position early in the game and when I switched him I accidently put his number in the wrong box and of course that came back to haunt us,” said George Zotsopoulos, who was filling in for head coach Jeff Cochran.

Dukes’ catcher Devin McCann had two RBIs to lead his team to the victory. “I was just patient and looked for my pitch. I have been struggling lately, so it was nice to get a couple of hits today,” McCann said.

Dukes’ starting pitcher Ridge Herrman held the Centurions to two runs over five innings while striking out three and walking only two.

Leading the Centurions in hitting was shortstop Zachary Stuebing, who had three hits including a RBI and a run scored.

“We played well. We should have tied them but Joe filled out lineup card wrong. Other than that we smacked the ball around and fielded well,” Stuebing said.

Centurion starter Andrew Check got rocked early, giving up seven runs, walking four and striking out only two in four innings of work.

After allowing a double, Check would surrender a two-run homer to shortstop Anthony Lopez to put the Centurions in an early hole. The blast seemed to rattle Check who uncorked two wild pitches that resulted in another run to put Cumberland up 3-0 after the first inning.

The Centurion offense did get one run back in the bottom of the first with Check helping his own cause by singling home Stuebing.

After two quick outs in the top half Check would revert back to his early struggles, allowing two more runs including the first of McCann’s RBIs that pushed the Dukes’ lead to 5-1.

Bucks would load the bases in the bottom half of the inning, but Herrman hunkered down to retire three in a row.

What Check lacked on the mound he made up for at the plate, collecting his second hit on an infield single. Third baseman Leo Hernandez would drive Check home and Aloia would double home two more to bring Bucks with in a run.

Yet, the pivotal lineup error would erase Aloia’s two-run hit and lead to his ejection. The blender would be deflating for the Centurions as the score remained 5-2.

The Dukes would extend their lead a half inning later by adding two more runs, which included an RBI triple by outfielder Cody Stashak.

That was the end of the day for Check as Matthew Creevey and Eric Mazurkiewicz combined to only allow an unearned run in the final three frames.

The Centurion lineup would take advantage in the final two innings scoring four runs off Cumberland relief pitcher Giovanni Casiano. The first two came in the eighth inning when a Mazurkiewicz triple resulted in Stuebing upending Dukes’ catcher in his slide home.

The last two runs came on Brandon Roman triple with two outs in the ninth, yet the Centurion rally would fall short. Zotsopoulo’s gaff turned out to be the Centurions’ downfall.