FIrst year Centurions opening eyes on the soccer field

As is the case with any sports team, a transitional period from seasoned veterans to the up-and-coming rookies provides many questions, and, in most cases, little answers.  For Bucks Men’s soccer coach Justin Burroughs, those answers have been provided with outstanding success.

“There are some first year players that are playing some major roles for us this year,” Burroughs said.

At the end of last year Bucks Men’s soccer coach Justin Burroughs said goodbye to some of his main stay all-conference players in forwards James Trainer and Jared Dickson and goalie Michael Klimowicz.

This year Burroughs feels the loss of those players is lessened because of some promising first year players.

When asked who was standing out in particular Burroughs did not hesitate when he would mention the man guarding his net, goalie Trevor Hopf.

“Losing an all- conference goal keeper is tough, but Trevor is doing a fine job in net,” he said.

After Hopf, the Centurion defense looks like the strong point of the team. With first year mid-fielders Ryan Mason and Matt Zarro playing like veterans, it could be tough sledding for opposing offenses. Mid-fielder Joey Cantillio is another player that is impressing early.

“He [Cantillio] has really stepped up.  In the beginning it was like a deer in headlights, but now he is now he is a lot better is productive every time he is in the game,” Burroughs said.

The offense boasts a new scoring threat, as forward Jimmy Haslett is leading his team with four goals already. The ball really has a way of finding him as he spends a lot of time in front of the other team’s net.

As far as the offense as a whole Burroughs believes they are starting to click together.

“Now we are starting to put some things together and playing better, Burroughs said. Everyone is starting to get to know each other and understand their roles and understand what the college game is about.”

Burroughs is not alone though as he does have some returning players to boost his team and inspire the young players. Headlining them is mid-fielder Stefan Hofmann who was elected second team all-region. The others feature tri-captains forward Sean Kurtz, back Wayne Horger Jr, and back Erik Mazurkiewicz. Mid-fielder Shane Nicolo is also returning, but has joined the team late as he tries to shake off rust.

Schedule-wise, the Centurions are 2-3-2 with two of the three loses coming against Division I schools who offer scholarships to incoming players. Bucks does not offer scholarships and their players often have to work keeping soccer from being their primary focus.

The first two losses came at the start of the season, but the Centurions went four games since without a loss. This is something Burroughs credits with the maturation of his team.

“I think everybody is starting to figure out that this is not college anymore where if your fast you’re faster than everybody else and if you’re good you can dribble past everybody so just understanding the difference in level of play,” said Burroughs.

The Centurions did have early season scoring trouble by being held to one goal in each of four straight games. They have since exploded for nine goals on Sept. 14 against Harrisburg Area Community College.

“Now we are at the point where we really need to start winning some games if we want to make the playoffs and get a halfway decent seed,” Burroughs said.

For Burroughs and all of Bucks, the Men’s Soccer team looks poised for some dynasty-level success with contributions all over the field.