Bucks women’s basketball team shooting for a better season

The Bucks Women’s basketball team is gearing up for a new season as new and old members re-energize to rebound from a 2-15 season last fall.

After finishing last season with 15 losses, the main goal of the Centurions entering this season is to work on improving that record. With the returning player’s experience, and the new player’s charisma, the Centurions are focusing on winning as many games as possible this season.

“We are in a rebuilding process,” said head Coach Lori Sullivan. “We are just focused on winning our first game, and we are approaching the season a game at a time.”

Training camp for the Centurions begins Oct.1 and they will have over a month to practice together.

The Centurion’s first game takes place on Nov. 12, against Delaware County Community College. The Community College of Philadelphia and Lehigh Carbon follow after that.

As Sullivan enters her third year as head coach, she already knows how the competition is going to be. “Our biggest threat this year is going to be Northampton,” Sullivan said. “That team is always a challenge.”

As far as the record goes, the expectations are high for both the returning players, and the new players being added to the roster. The team is hoping they can add some height to the roster to give an advantage on the court.

One of the returning players, Regina Karluah, has high hopes for improving the team’s success this season. “We are strong on defense and offense, but we need to just focus on gaining experience on the court and work harder every day in practice,” Karluah said. “Everyone needs to play with more heart and confidence on both sides of the court, and if that happens we will win more games.”

Many of the struggles last year were a result of a lack of experience and confidence, but the team is focused on working harder to become a better team.

“I want to bring confidence and positive energy to the team,” Karluah said. If this team has just one player to lead us in the right direction, we can be very successful.” “I hope the new players added to the roster help make a difference with their energy and dedication.”

Shooting guard Cassandra Gainey is one of the new players being added to the Centurion roster. She hopes she can bring her scoring ability and experience to the team to make it better.

“Winning and dedication is the key to success. As far as winning basketball games, we all need to work hard in practice and strive for improvement on offense and defense if we want to be one of the best teams,” said Gainey.

There are many challenges one must face when being added to a new team. The new players are going to have to learn a new coaching system and playing style, but Cassandra is ready to take on that task.

“As a new player you have to adjust to learning new playing styles and become comfortable with each other, and know each other’s roles, which I believe is a task we can execute,” said Gainey.

With all of the positive energy from the coach, returning players, and new players, hopefully the team can make a strong effort in improving from last year’s record.