The Eagles’ success this season hinges on defense

After a rough start to the season, the Philadelphia Eagles find themselves at the top of the NFC east division with a 3-3 record.

The Eagles started the season 1-3 with losses to the San Diego Chargers, Denver Broncos, and Kansas City Chiefs. Since then the Eagles are on a two-game winning streak which tied them at the top of the division with the rival Dallas Cowboys.

Eagle’s fans are hoping this current two-game win streak will continue for the rest of the season.

“I’m glad to see the team beginning to succeed on the field, Bekka Cain, an 18-year-old education major said. I’m hoping this positive energy can lead to more wins for the team.”

The question many Eagles fans are asking is, “Why is the team struggling.” The team leads the entire NFL in rush yards per game (178.5) and is third in the league in total yards per game (449.8) according to Nfl.com.

Clearly with those statistics head coach Chip Kelly’s new offense seems to be working, but should fans blame the defense for the amount of losses? The Eagle’s defense is ranked last in the league in total yards allowed per game (420.2) according to Nfl.com.

Although the new offense seems to be running smoothly, football fans around Bucks are starting to wonder if Kelly is good enough to coach both sides of the field.

“I think Chip Kelly has a lot of potential,” Christian Huffman, a 19-year-old,” criminal justice major said. “Transitioning from college football to professional is not easy, but if he can figure out how to coach more defensively, the Eagles will be in a great position.”

Many other students are excited to see how the rest of the season will play out. Many are worried the Cowboys may finish with the division title.

“As an Eagles fan, nothing hurts more than to see the Dallas Cowboy at the top with you,” Deshawn Jackon, a 19-year-old business major said. “It makes me sick, I hope the Eagles can figure out a way to win the division this year.”

The reason Eagles fans are not confident about their team’s chances against the Cowboys is because they will be facing a powerful offense.

“Dez Bryant is having a really good year this year, and our defense is struggling,” Olivia Bucci, a 20-year-old early education major said. “We need to stop him from having a big game, along with Romo.”

Last year, the Eagles had one of the worst records in the NFL, finishing 4-12. Although the team is on track to finish with a better record, there are still many setbacks that could prevent them from making the playoffs.

The team seems to be coping well offensively without wide receiver Jeremy Maclin, but now starting quarterback Michael Vick is dealing with a hamstring injury.

Now the team faces the difficulty of finding a starting quarterback. Backup quarterback Nick Foles started the game against the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Although the team came away with the win, Foles consistency is suspect because of the lack of experience.

Overall, the team is playing relatively decent considering what they have endured this season. A new head coach, a starting wide receiver out for the season, the Riley Cooper incident and the temporary loss of their starting quarterback.

The results of this Eagles Cowboys game could determine the outlook for the rest of the season.