Women’s basketball team wins its home opener

The Women’s Basketball Team shows enthusiasm, working hard to ensure that last season never happens again.

The Women’s Centurion basketball team (1-0) is out to prove that this year is not like last year and got things started off right, when their forward Shannon Swift scored 16 points and pulled down 17 rebounds to give her team a 41-38 victory over the Delaware County Phantoms (0-1) on Nov. 12 at Bucks’

“Overall, I felt like it was a great team win,” Swift said.

Swift broke three records on the night by having those 17 rebounds, six blocked shots, and five steals.

Also starring for the Centurions were guards Jackie Kramer with 9 points, and Shayla Panniell with 5 points and 14 rebounds

The game started with each team matching each other on offense, but soon the Phantoms would take control.

In the second half it would be a different story.   The Centurions rallied together, and would be the ones dominating on offense to tie the game at 34, with six minutes remaining.

“We just fed off each other’s positive energy and built off our scoring,” Swift said.

The Centurion rebounds were key to the rally, and the extra scoring chances soon gave them the lead at 40-26.

The game then hit a bit of a standstill as it became a game of shooting fouls. With the lead within reach, the Phantoms were hoping the Centurions would miss from the foul line enough times to help them come back.

Kramer would thwart that strategy by making some clutch free throws down the stretch to preserve the Centurions’ win at 41-38.

Last year the Women’s basketball team did not win a single game, so this win made it all the sweeter for second-year players like Swift.

“It was definitely nice,” Swift said. “We put last season in perspective and just worked harder this past offseason, so it was good to see our hard work pay off.”