Number one Spartans defeat Centurions

Before the game between the Northampton Spartans (7-3) and the Bucks County Centurions (3-5) the head coach of the Centurions Lori Sullivan described it as the toughest game they would play all season.

It was just that as the Spartans man handled the Centurions 95-30 behind 22 points and six steals by point guard Brianna Morales on Dec. 7 at Bucks’.

Morales is ranked 11th in the EPACC conference in points per game with 20.3 and was clear the quarterback of the Spartan offense on this day.

“We played with intensity,” said Morales. “Our defense was great, they were able to get us some turnovers so I could execute on offense and I think that is what allowed us to have such a big lead at halftime.”

Defense was the deciding factor in the game as the Spartans forced 16 turnovers and harassed the Centurions on offense.

On the Centurion side guard Shayla Panniell helped lead her team with nine points.

“We played pretty good,” said Panniell. “They just out hustled us. They were quicker to the ball and just beat us with their defense.”

The Spartans had a definite presence on the court as they came in boasting the top seed in the conference at 4-0 overall. The team has a history of good sports programs and have laid the ground work for a well-established team.

The Centurions on the other hand are more of the up and coming type of team. After enduring a nightmare winless season last year they are playing better this season.

The game started well for the Centurions as they took five of the first seven shots attempted. Unfortunately only one of those shots fell through as their shots had a habit of rimming out.

That dry spell would allow the Spartans to take charge as they would go on an unprecedented 20-2 run. Getting them started was shooting guard Katie Schickling who hit five three pointers in the half.

Getting out in transition fueled the Spartans charge as they got out on the fast break quickly off Centurion turnovers and missed shots.

Drawing attention away from Schickling was the inside presence of Lacy LeRezza who gave her team plenty of second chance opportunities. After playing for the first seven minutes LeRezza would rest on the bench till the second half, but her replacements were ample fill ins.

The growing lead forced to attempt most of their shots from outside the paint with little success. This tactic made them predictable and soon they were staring down a 41-6 deficit.

In different parts of the half the Centurions tried to start a rally, but with ice-cold shooting that run never came.

The Spartans closed out the half by getting to the foul line and closed the half leading 56-15.

The defense of the Spartans amped it up in the second half as they held the Centurions scoreless for the first six minutes and to just two points in the first 10 minutes.

This allowed the Spartan offense to open up a 81-17 lead. Morales would do most of her damage in this half as routinely found the ball.

In the closing minutes of the game the Centurions would finally mount a run of 8-4 to finish the game 95-30.