Big dreams from Bensalem

The Philadelphia 76ers announced on February 17 that they have signed Bensalem High School Student Kevin Grow, 18, to a ceremonial two day contract.

Grow’s story inspired the Sixers and the nation. Diagnosed with down syndrome, Grow proudly served as the high school basketball team manager for four years. This year, at the end of the season, Grow’s coach, John Mullin, on the Bensalem High School basketball team gave him an opportunity to play for the team in the last two games of the season.

The high school senior scored three points in his debut. In his next game, he scored 14 points in the last two minutes. He made four 3-pointers and the last shot at the buzzer.

After Grow’s play was caught on video and showed all over youtube, he not only caught the attention of the nation, but Sixers President of Basketball Operations & General Manager Sam Hinkie, who decided to sign Grow and offered the contract to him on Monday, February 10 in person.

On the next night at the Wells Fargo Center before the Sixers played against the Cleveland Cavilers, the young man was given his own custom made basketball jersey and own locker room by the Sixers. Grow was introduced by the Sixers with a standing ovation from fans as well as participated in pre-game warm ups and standing with them during the national anthem.

Grow’s teammates who were with him all those years were recognized during the game as they took center court for a special presentation during a timeout.

“His teammates have been great throughout the four years. They’ve always included him. They mess around with him. They really make him feel like part of the team,” quoted by Dorothy Grow the mother of Kevin in an interview for 6ABC.

Students from Bensalem high school praised their classmate including Christopher Hance, 15, a sophomore, who said “I think it’s a really surprising yet heartwarming surprise. He seems to have been an inspiration to many people in school. It’s nice to see how he’s been receiving special treatment. He really deserves it.”

Former Students from Bensalem high school are proud of Kevin Grow.

Many Bensalem students are extremely proud. “It makes me really proud to have gone to that school and I feel so unbelievably happy that this has happened to him. Kids with special needs can do anything and it’s amazing that the Sixers signed him to a contract. That is so great,” said Rebecca Fink, 20, from Philadelphia.

Bucks students who also attended Bensalem voiced their opinions about Keven Grow’s inspirational story as well, including Melyssa Kennedy, 26, a biology major commented, “I think it’s wonderful that someone with a disability is being recognized for the talents they have, and not being looked down upon.”

“To me it shows that having a disability doesn’t matter, but their passion for something they love” said Casie Lamb, 20, a liberal arts major.

Lamb also added that “It make me happy that finally I saw something good on the news about my school… And it’s nice to see someone following their dream… to see a smiling face on someone whose dream is coming true.”

Kevin Grow’s story touches the lives of people. It will always give an inspirational hope to those with disabilities.