Women’s basketball revved up

The women’s basketball team is eager to bounce back this season, after nearly missing the playoffs last season as they fell to the Community College of Pennsylvania, 63-85.

The Centurions are in it to win it this season with the help of Lori Sullivan, head coach of the women’s basketball team, focusing on their main strategy, working together as one.

Entering her fourth year as head coach, Sullivan stated, these women have been preparing for this season all summer long.

With three new players to add to the four returning players Coach Sullivan said, “It’s like they’re not new. Chemistry is looking good, I can see those new players being a big part of the team this year.”

When asked who Sullivan thought would be a standout star this season she didn’t give any names instead she said, “I think everyone is going to have their own special part to bring to the team…whether it’s rebounding, a tenacious defense, or getting the ball up the court.”

She added, “I expect my veterans to step it up and be there to get the younger ones ready to go.”

Team work seems to be the motto this year for the Centurions. When Alexa Wintersteen, 19, sophomore from Central Bucks South and Jacqueline Walsh, 20, sophomore from William Tennent spoke, their interpretation of the season seemed to be the same as their coach.

Wintersteen said to expect, “hard work and team work,” and Walsh added this year’s team really “works together as one on the court.”

After just missing the post season last year Sullivan said their goal is to make the playoffs this year but her focus is, “one game at a time, and in all honesty, one half at a time.”

It won’t be easy for the team going up against power house teams–Northampton, Harrisburg, and Luzerne– but after speaking with the coaches, Sullivan said the women’s basketball team are “right in the thick of things.”

As for the rest of the season Coach Sullivan said, “We are taking baby steps and working with what we have.”