Victorious Volleyball Team Starts Season 6-1, New Assistant Coach Making His Mark

Photo Credit: Bucks County Community College Athletics

Led by head coach Stephanie Recklau, 28, of Newtown, the Bucks volleyball team starts their season with a 6-1 record.

In their season opener, the Bucks team reigned in success over 2016 Region XIX Semifinalist team, Ocean County College. The team carried three out of four of the winning games opening night. Bre Jackson, 20, Doylestown, Bucks all-time record holder, had a fantastic game.

Recklau is now in her seventh season as head coach of the Lady Centurions, leading Bucks to the playoffs for three years straight. According to Buck’s Athletic page, “Coach Recklau played volleyball, basketball, and ran track at Council Rock High School South. She went on to play volleyball for four years at Cabrini College, where she was named 2007 PAC Rookie of the Year and awarded CSAC Player of the Year in 2009 and 2010. In 2009, she was named to ESPN The Magazine/Co-SIDA District II third team, became the first player at Cabrini to record their 1000th kill, and was nationally ranked in hitting percentage (3rd) and blocks per game (50th) in 2009.”

According to Recklau, each year her team has improved and this year is no exception. “So far, this is the most competitive volleyball team Bucks has ever had.”

Recklau’s biggest concern isn’t whether or not her team will make it to playoffs, but rather how far into playoffs her team go. Last year the team only made it to the first round. Though she is optimistic, she admits that the team’s biggest rival is Montgomery County Community College, who the Centurions play for their gym opener on Saturday, Sept. 30, in Schnecksville, Pa.

This year, Bucks introduces a new assistant coach, Craig Genievich, 40, of Feasterville. He is an experienced and knowledgeable player and is enthusiastic about the season. Genievich believes that the Lady Centurions are a solid team with well-rounded players. So far he is enjoying the team and looks forward to getting to know the girls. Former Bensalem High School athlete and prized Bucks player Danielle Frederick, 20, of Bensalem, says, “It feels great to be on the winning team.” Frederick says that this group of girls genuinely works together. She says that she has made unbreakable bonds in this experience thus far and plans to join the team again next season.

Each team member is excited about playoffs this season. Team libero, Jennifer Martyn 18, of Chalfont, states simply “we’re going to win in the playoffs.” It looks like opposing teams are in for a difficult match against the Bucks team.

Come and support the Lady Centurions! There are three upcoming home games in the month of September. The team is sure to play a thrilling match! Go to athletic.bucks.edu to find Bucks Volleyball team schedule.