Women’s Soccer Team Suiting Up for 2017 Season

Photo Credit: Bucks County Community College Athletics

Throughout the program’s career, Bucks women’s soccer has not given a name for themselves, but this year they are ready to earn their recognition.

Thirteen young women are striving for success and are ready to devastate their opponents this upcoming season. “This year I expect us really to be the best women’s soccer team the community college has ever had,” Head Coach Matt Giordano states.

The women’s team has the most competitive schedule out of any other D3 Junior College Team in the state of Pennsylvania. Although their record is currently 2-3, some of their final scores were upsetting Montgomery County Community College 13-0 and Lackawanna County Community college 11-0.

They faced hardships and were defeated by D1 community colleges such as Mercer county, Brookdale and Morris county. Although the final scores of their defeats were competitive, they believe playing D1 teams are beneficial and will prepare them for their future competitors.

Upcoming rivals such as Northampton, Lehigh Carbon County and others are battling to place first in the conference. Unfortunately, the conference folded last year due to teams not being able to field enough players, but that has changed substantially this year. The women’s team plans on winning their conference, the region and earning a spot in playoffs. The soccer program has only won a spot in playoffs twice in its career, back in 2012 and 2016. Last year they took a tough loss to Camden County Community 3-1 in the first round of playoffs.

Coach Giordano says his biggest goal for the soccer program is to make it a “real” program. “I came to this program and the culture was poor, the type of athlete we attracted was not as good as it needed to be, and I wanted to change this. There is no reason that this school shouldn’t have a nationally ranked women’s program.” He then explained how he has encountered some road blocks such as back to back losses in his past unsuccessful seasons, but that hasn’t deferred his motivation. Giordano believes he has been a better coach over the past three years than all ten years prior.

To prepare for the upcoming season the team added additional days to their preseason for 2017 and played 2 scrimmages prior to the season (which has never happened before).

Besides the team’s hard work, Coach Giordano says their biggest strength of all is their heart. With only thirteen women filling roster, he claims, despite the circumstances, “We have some real fighters on our team. They fight and they do not back down.”

Bucks Women’s soccer team assistant coach is Michelle George, team manager is Joe Rebohlz and team captains are Macy Moors, Brooklyn Smith and Holly Bowser. Go to athletic.bucks.edu to find Bucks women’s soccer game schedule.