Women’s Tennis Team Tails Behind 2-7 With New Coach During Fall Season’s Tough Tournaments

Bucks County Community College women’s tennis team stumbled to a 2-7 record this past season.

Phil Heft, first-year head coach, talked about the toughest win of the season by saying, “As a new coach there were no natural rivalries but we pushed very hard against Lackawanna.” He continued by saying, “When we lost the first time at their place we felt like we could beat them, and when they came to us we did.”

The Centurions played other community colleges such as Northampton, Ocean, Camden, Mercer, Brookdale, and Rowan.

Despite their tough season, Bucks had four of their players advance to the semi-finals showing tremendous progress throughout the program.

When describing about the team’s strengths and weaknesses, Heft answered, “Our strength was our team bonding, especially when you consider the weakness of over half the team never playing tennis prior.” He continued his statement by saying, “Our experienced players helped teach and train, but most importantly supported their efforts.”

Heft also talked about the inexperienced nine-woman squad by saying, “When you consider four of the new women tennis players who were able to win a match during the season, it shows the camaraderie.”

Heft talked about the season by saying, “It was fun to begin with.” He added, “It was a wonderful experience working with the athletic department, opposing coaches and the women of the team.”

Heft’s goals for next season are to retain and recruit players, “Though it was satisfying to fill roster with willing players, if we are to get better seasonal results, we will need seasoned tennis players.”

When talking about something people should know about the women’s tennis team, Heft responded, “It is a great sport to play and the opportunity to be noticed and recruited for the next level.” He finished by saying, “This team is made up of terrific women so come out for the 2018 team.”