Villanova Wins National Title

Villanova won their second championship in three years, defeating the Michigan Wolverines by a score of 79-62. They played yet another outstanding game to accomplish this feat against a very good team in Michigan.

Sophomore Donte DiVincenzo, who won Most Outstanding Player of the game, will go down as a real hero. He scored thirty-one points and was one of the biggest reasons why the Wildcats picked up their third championship in school history.

DiVincenzo played an outstanding game that will go down as one of the greatest performances in National Championship history.

The game started off pretty tough for Villanova as the score got to a 21-14 Michigan lead at the 11 minute mark. Which wound up being the Wildcats biggest deficit of the half as they stormed back into the game pretty quickly.

Michigan was playing tough rugged defense which made it hard for Nova. But that didn’t stop the Wildcats from getting back into it. They went on a 9-0 run to take the lead 23-21 at the 6:08 minute mark with the help of DiVincenzo’s three-pointer.

When Michigan tied the game at 23-23, Villanova got a couple free throws taking the lead by two and never looked back after that. They finished the half on fire with the score at 37-28. Villanova finished that first half phenomenally and Michigan just couldn’t keep up.

The second didn’t look much different, Villanova dominated and looked like the best all-around team in the nation. A look they’ve donned for most of the season.

Villanova started off the second half with a 9-2 run to make it 46-32 at the 17:15 mark of the second half. Michigan, with no answer for this dominating Wildcats team, seemed unable to catch up to them.

Nova’s offense was too much to match and by the last eight minutes of the game, the eighteen point lead was too much for Michigan to bear.

The game ended by a score of 79-62 in a dominating fashion which made it that much sweeter.

Jay Wright will also go down as one of the greatest coaches in College Basketball history with two National Championships on his resume now. There are only two active coaches with more titles than him right now and that’s Roy Williams, the coach of North Carolina with three, and Mike Krzyzewski, the coach at Duke with five.

Those are two of the greatest coaches in the history of men’s college basketball so for Jay Wright to be in the same conversation as them and to join them as the only active coaches with multiple titles is an amazing feat for Coach Wright and definitely something to be proud of forever.

Villanova had a great season in a whole with a final record of 36-4 ending on an eleven game win streak that earned them a one seed in the tournament. They took full advantage of it and showed why they deserved it throughout the tournament by blowing teams away and ultimately blowing out Michigan in the Championship game.

It was a great season for Villanova and a great way to cap it all off. Good luck to the team next year and we’ll see if they can bring another title to Philly.