Anticipation Builds Among Students As Sixers Crash Into Playoffs For The First Time In 6 Years Amid Philly Sports Wins

Photo courtesy Wikimedia Commons

An overwhelming buzz is beginning to grow at astronomical levels, taking over the city of Philadelphia. As the 76ers cruise into the NBA Playoffs for the first time since 2012, ending the regular season on a franchise record 16-game winning streak while securing the 3rd seed in the Eastern Conference.

As if it wasn’t clear already, 76ers fans officially “Trust the Process.”

The Sixers 52-30 record marks their best season since the days of Allen Iverson in the 2000-01 season, when the team made it all the way to the NBA finals against Kobe Bryant and the Los Angeles Lakers. The 76ers resurrected roster has sparked an incredible response from the Philadelphia faithful.

Philly basketball has jolted fun and excitement throughout the tristate area. Seas of red, white, and blue with phrases such as “Here They Come” or “Phila Unite,” symbolizing the team’s playoff mantra, to never waiver and unite as one.

The Sixers, led by young Phenom’s like Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid, were projected by sports writers and analysts all over the country to make the playoffs. But, no one predicted the team getting to the 3rd seed ahead of LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers.

A run and gun style offense drawn up by head coach Brett Brown has allowed the Sixers to embrace the fast paced play in order to counteract teams who approach the game in more methodical schemes.

New additions to the team like JJ Redick and Marco Belinelli have bolstered the team’s veteran presence to help sustain the locker room as well as adding a lethal sharp shooting aspect to their offensive success.

Markelle Fultz, the Sixers 1st overall pick in the 2017, has found his way back onto the floor after sitting out the majority of the regular season due to a shoulder injury that occurred at the beginning of the regular season.

It is reassuring to Sixers fans to see him back, and to prove to everyone what kind of asset he can be to the squad.

As another potential championship is on the horizon in Philadelphia, fans are oozing with support and are equipped with a winning attitude.

“This is our year.” Says communications major at Bucks Jasmine Young from Philadelphia, PA. Young, an avid sports fan says perseverance has helped the team grow as a whole.

“It’s been a long time coming, but it has been well worth the wait.” Says Young. She adds, “They play as a team without any personalities or personas. No one player is better than the other.”

Young spoke about why Joel Embiid is her favorite player by saying, “Mainly because of his lovable and charismatic presence that helps ground the team into having fun with the sport.”

“This is long overdue. This is a basketball town, I still can’t believe the success they’ve had because they weren’t supposed to be this good this fast.” Says communication major at Bucks Lukas Piscitelli from Southampton, PA.

Piscitelli is a diehard Sixers fan, glowing with intense passion says, “They play with such grit, everyone brings something to the table.” He adds, “If they stay humble, this team has the chance at multiple championships in years to come.”

Both Young and Piscitelli came to agreement when talking about the impact the Sixers have had on the city, by the team’s ability to have fun while accomplishing a common goal. “Positive energy around the team.” Says Piscitelli, he adds, “They are happy doing it, it’s just fun to watch.”

Young talks about the team by saying, “It goes to show the hunger that they have for a championship, rather than worrying about what else is going on in the world.” She adds, “We deserve a team like this.”