Fantasy Football takes over Bucks’ Students Time

Fantasy Football has become increasingly popular and is something Bucks students look forward to every year.

According to, The Fantasy Sports Trade Association, 59.3 million people in the United States play and 50 percent are college students. Of those, 71 percent are males and 29 percent are women.

Here at Bucks many students have an interest in the game. It’s as if they are more involved in the sport of football than ever before. They have the choice of choosing a variety of NFL players to be on their team to help them win. The great thing about it is that it can bring a group of friends closer even with their busy schedules.

Ben Rapaport, 19, Doylestown, English major, says “It can be easily accessed from your phone on an app which is free to purchase. Rapaport adds, “There is a draft with all of the NFL players and everyone has a spot to pick their players when it’s their turn.”

The league consists of 10 teams usually but can even reach up to a 14-team league. Students have the choice whether or not they want to put money up to raise the stakes. There teams mimic a real-life NFL team except they have only 9 roster spots for players.

Each week the team with the most points after all the football games that week wins.

John Mitchell, 20, Newtown, an science major, says, “It makes watching the games more enjoyable because you’re specifically rooting for the players that you chose.”

Another student, Dave Ramirez, 21, Jenkintown, Graphic Design major adds, “With all the schoolwork I have I don’t really get to hang out with my friends so it gives us an opportunity to still talk.”

“I enjoy football especially with my family, but with all my schoolwork during the week it gets hard to keep up, so I decided not to play fantasy, says Sarah Murray, 20, Richboro, a history major.

There is a downside of fantasy football. If you lose enough your team won’t make the playoffs and you will be eliminated, “It can really ruin a Sunday, states Ian Shaw, 20, Bristol, a photography major. The plus side is you can trade your players if you’re not satisfied, but if other teams don’t think the trade is fair there is a possibility the trade can be vetoed.

Fantasy Football lasts for a total of 16 weeks around the same amount of an entire football season. A winner is announced and the possibility of money could be won.

Students may be focused on school, but at the same time take the time to join in on all the Fantasy Football hype.

Football is the All-American sport that doesn’t stop with broadcasting their games on television it has taken over the internet. Fantasy football continues to grow each year with more people interested and getting involved.