Are Phillies Postseason Contenders?

Despite, fan’s high hopes during spring training, the 2019 Phillies team have been nothing but a train wreck, but the team still has a chance at tasting postseason.
As of Sept. 11, the Phillies are currently in contention along with multiples other teams for the two National League Wild Card spots in the MLB postseason. Currently holding the first wild card spot, are the Washington Nationals. The second wildcard spot is up for grabs between the Chicago Cubs, Milwaukee Brewers, Arizona Diamondbacks, New York Mets, and the Philadelphia Phillies.
The 2019 season for the Phillies hasn’t been perfect, but it’s easily seen the best Phillies team since 2011. The key trades and signings the team has made during the offseason for the likes of Jean Segura, JT Realmuto, Andrew McCutchen, Bryce Harper made the Phillies a contender once again in the National League.
Harper as right fielder was one of the biggest signing in recent Phillies history. Harper has been having a solid season. Currently Harper has a .254 batting average which is average among MLB hitters. However, Harper has 31 home runs (HR) and 102 runs batted in (RBI) which is the most RBI’s by a Phillies player since former MVP Ryan Howard in 2011.
As for the rest of the team, catcher Realmuto has been another great addition after he was traded from the Miami Marlins during the offseason. Realmuto has a .282 batting average along with 24 home runs (HR) and 80 runs batted in (RBI), earning the phrase “BCIB” or “Best Catcher in Baseball”. Realmuto has also thrown out 42 players trying to steal bases this season and thrown out 48 percent of players trying to steal on him this season.
Another solid addition was Segura as shortstop, hitting .284 with 11 (HR) and 58 (RBI). Left fielder McCutchen has also been a great asset to them team. McCutchen started the 2019 season for twith a solo home run to get the crowd fired up. Unfortunately, he tore his ACL after getting caught in a run down trying to avoid being tagged out, thus ending his 2019 season.
The pitching staff is where the team needs improvement. Pitcher Aaron Nola is having a slower year compared to his 2018 season. However, Nola does have the best stats among Phillies pitchers, with a 12-5 record on the mound with a 3.70 earned run average (ERA).
Pitcher Jake Arrieta has slowly deteriorated during his tenure with the Phillies. With an 8-8 record and a 4.64 ERA before being placed on the injured reserve list due to an elbow injury. The other pitchers worth mentioning in the Phillies starting rotation are Zach Eflin, Drew Smyly, and Vince Velasquez. The rest of the pitching staff is a nightmare for die hard Phillies fans.
The bullpen for the Phillies ranks 21st out of the 30 MLB teams, with an ERA of 4.62. Quite simply whenever the Phillies have their offensive game working, their pitching brings them down and vice versa.
After all the ups and downs the Phillies have had this season so far, they are still in contention to scratch the postseason. Towards the latter half of the month, we’ll learn if this Phillies team is good enough to play in playoff baseball.