Bucks Cross Country 2019 Season Preview

After the last three big
races, head coach Brian
Thomas is confident in his small squad of runners and has high hopes for the men’s and women’s cross-country teams in this 2019 season.

Roster numbers have been an issue for both cross country teams as the men’s roster dropped from five in 2018 to just one in 2019. The women’s roster has had the same number of runners with two this year and two in 2018.

Even with the low roster numbers Coach Thomas believes in his runners and said, “they are a small group, but they are very hardworking.”

The roster veterans are sophomore brother and sister
Logan and Reland Saugling, both from Quakertown, Reland being an all-conference
runner at Quakertown. Newcomer freshman Samantha Beverly from Council Rock North rounds on the women’s team.

“They are successful working together because it is such a small group,” said Coach Thomas.”The men’s program is in a rebuilding phase as it’s just the second year of the program after a 25-year layoff.”

At the Penn State Abington Invitational on Sep. 14 Logan Saugling placed 11th out of 92 in the men’s 8k race. With a time of 29:43.9. Beverly placed 45th out of 56 with a time of 31:00.1 in the women’s 5k race. Reland Saugling did not participate in this race.

On Sep. 21 the Centurions competed in the Aggies Cross Country Open at Delaware Valley University. Logan
Saugling medaled and was 3rd out of 34 participants in the men’s 8k with an time of 31:03.5.
Reland Saugling placed 21st of 57 with a time of 29:02.4 in the women’s race. Beverly placed 47th of 57 with a good time of 35:08.2 in the women’s 6k race.

A week later on Sept. 28 both teams participated in the Brandywine Invitational at Penn State University’s Brandywine campus. In the women’s 6k race, Reland Saugling finished 13th out of 45 with a time of 30:59 and Samantha Beverly finished 27th with a time of 35:38. In the men’s 8k race, Logan Saugling finished 20th out of 96 runners with a time of 31:36.

Both teams have an upcoming race at the Jack St. Clair Invitational on Oct.12, in Bryn Mawr. The women’s race will start at 12:15 p.m. and the men’s at 1:15 p.m.

The Eastern Pennsylvania Athletic Conference championship will take place on Oct. 20 at Luzerne County Community College at 11 a.m. and the
Region 19 Championship on Oct. 26 at Delaware Tech.

Come out and support your centurions!