Men’s Basketball Team Wraps Up Their Season

Photo courtesy Bucks website

For the Bucks Centurions Men’s Basketball Team, their regular season came to a close on Feb. 12 with the team finishing up the season with a 7-5 record overall.

Through many game cancellations, the Centurions scored four wins in a row during the second half of the season, which enabled the team to have a positive record to finish up with. The young team fought hard all year and are hopeful to be selected for the USCAA National Tournament in early March.

The team had a rough start to the year with two lead-off losses right from the get-go but through consistency and hard work, the team rallied hard throughout the year and were able to finish strong.

New head Coach Ryan Charity lead the team this year after taking the reigns from former Coach Dominic Farello. Charity is familiar with the team from his experience of being a volunteer assistant with them in years past so while his new role is certainly demanding he has taken it in full stride.

Through interviewing Coach Charity we were able to get a full grip on how the Centurions season went as well as asking various questions about the state of the team, playoff hopes, key players, and so on.

Charity said, “I am very proud of all our student-athletes and the season that they have been having. Especially with this being a young new group they all handled adversity well this season.” This young group of men played well this season scoring, on average, 78.4 points per game and hitting 38.7 percent of three-point shots throughout the season.

The team had its strengths throughout the season but also displayed some weaknesses. Charity said, “We’ve had success in the paint and around the 3 point line but our defense and rebounding could be more consistent. Something we are focusing on going into next year.”

The team has some things to work on for next year but Charity is confident that with some time and effort the Centurions will be stronger than ever for next season.

While the Centurion’s regular season has ended their playoff hopes remain strong. Charity, speaking of the team’s current position in the standings for the USCAA National Tournament, said, “As of now, the USCAA website has us at #12 of 77 total teams. The national tournament is in March and the best 36 teams are invited. We hope to be selected for that.”

Charity highlighted several players in particular. “Our three captains Kyle Saglimben, Sean Haus, and Joey Brusha have held us down this season. Colin Martin has done a great job controlling the game from the point guard position. Kyle’s athleticism and presence on defense help us a lot with the shooting strengths of Sean and Joe has gotten us that #12 spot on the USCAA site.”

It was a total team effort this year for the Centurions and everyone played their part in bringing the team the success they were able to achieve.

While the 2021 season has ended Charity and his players look forward to the 2022 season. Through experience and hard work, the team looks to play even harder next season and everyone is excited to see just how far this team will go next year. Until then, Go Centurions!