Jason Kelce and Fletcher Cox Announce Retirement, Forever Philadelphia Eagles Legends

From college football walk on, to Philadelphia Eagles sixth round pick in the 2011 Draft, to Superbowl champion, to Football Hall of Fame, Center and University of Cincinnati alumni Jason Kelce has announced that after 13 seasons he will be hanging them up. The six-time Pro Bowl select made his choice public on March 4 to the press and eventually took fans by surprise with both bittersweetness and joy. From his famous Superbowl speech of “No One likes us and we don’t care” to creating his own podcast with his rival and brother, Travis Kelce, taking his shirt off at the 2024 Super Bowl, supporting charities, and teaching us the importance of being our true authentic selves, Jason Kelce has rocked not only the city of Philadelphia but also the world. The phenomenon to international fans around the globe, with his famous costume of “Fat Batman”. Despite going back and forth on retirement, the reason was due to wanting to be and spend time with his wife Kylie and his three daughters. Jason shared his thoughts on fatherhood “I think one of the best things a person can be in this world is a father. A father who is present, loving (and) devoted just might be the greatest gift a child can ask for in our society, and I have a (expletive) good one,” he says. Immediately after his retirement announcement, the countdown begins for Kelce’s first-ballot nomination into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Kelce will be missed not only by fans, but also by many that he reached through to with his contagious personality. 

On March 10, Fletcher Cox, longtime Eagles Defensive Tackle, announced his retirement from professional football after 12 seasons. The Mississippi State alumni posted on his X account “I want to thank Jeffrey Lurie, Howie Roseman, Doug Pederson, Nick Sirianni, Don Smolenski, and the entire support staff of the Philadelphia Eagles. There are too many people to name, but you have all made a tremendous impact on my life and my career. I’ve learned so much from each and every one of you. You have no idea how much I appreciate the many ways you helped me grow not just as a player, but as a young man into the man I am today.” he writes. 

Bucks County Resident and Eagles fan Nick Polymenakos states “I was surprised that the two are both departing. They are both really good players and held down a good part of the team. Hopefully, we can get good players to fill their part. I think eventually someone similar to him (Kelce) will come along. The Eagles I think will still be good this coming season, just not as they were before”.

Matthew T. Joseph, a current Bucks Student says “ It’s gonna be tough without him (Kelce) I would say it would be a rebuilding year” says Matthew. “It sucks we lost him (Cox) but I think he was ready to retire.”

Cox, the six-time Pro Bowler, and one-time All-Pro, will be ending his career with a Super Bowl ring, two NFC titles, and having played a total of 188 games tallying 519 total tackles,70 sacks, 16 forced fumbles, 14 fumble recoveries, 17 defended passes and two touchdowns.

“It’s very sad but they are getting older and we want younger players to play and give back to the Philly area”. He’s (Graham) getting up there at age too. He should have retired”. Says Eagles fan Mark Rothenburger of Norristown, Pennsylvania.  

As of March 10, Lane Johnson and Brandon Graham are the only two Eagles remaining from the 2017 Super Bowl roster. With 73 sacks in a record of 195 games in his career, University of Michigan Wolverine and Eagles Defensive End Brandon Graham is returning for a 15th season. With a one-year contract, he has said that after this season he will be ending his football career as well.

“I’m happy that they are still with us (Graham and Johnson) and surprised that they are the only ones left. Graham’s my favorite player. My favorite memory is probably Lane protecting Foles well in the Super Bowl”. Says Timothy Thomas of Doylestown.