Women’s History Month at Bucks

Womens History Month at Bucks

It will be another busy year at the Women’s Center, especially during March, Women’s History month.

“On March sixth we’re going to kick off the month with “Sunflower” a one woman play based on the life of Elizabeth Cady Stanton.” said Natalie Kaye, Program Coordinator for the Women’s Center. “Sunflower” starts at 7p.m. on Mar. 6, in the Library Auditorium.

Elizabeth Perry who wrote “Sunflower”, plays Elizabeth Cady Stanton who read the first woman’s rights protest to an audience at Seneca Falls in 1848, and became pivotal early on in the Women’s Rights Movement. Perry will also perform all of the 27 other characters in the two-act play.

Perry has been in, on and off Broadway productions, such as “The Women” and “Present Laughter”. From television you might recognize her from programs like “Kate” and “Allie”.

“Sunflower” has toured the country (its venues have included the White House). Perry will be staying after the show for an interactive question and answer session with the audience.

The play is free and to attend just reserve by calling or emailing Natalie Kaye a request to attend. (215)968-8015 or [email protected].

Women’s History Month events are in addition to the other Women’s Center activities that are ongoing here at Bucks, like The Brown Bag-Lunch Series (usually held in the Women’s Center), which has already been planned from now through April (as well as a host of other related events).

The series offers an ongoing forum on a range of subjects that students suggest, such as a forum on Women and Woodcarving in the 19th Century, Meditation Made Easy, and Women in Computing.

On Mar. 11, at 11am and 7pm in the Fireside Lounge, producer Joan Sadoff will present her documentary, “Standing on My Sisters’ Shoulders.” Sadoff will be giving insights into her award winning film about the civil rights movement in Mississippi.

March will go out just as it came in, with a big event, “Celebrating Women Around the World”, is scheduled for Mar. 31, from 11am-2pm in the Women’s Center.

“We planned this to close off the month in a way that would represent and celebrate women from various cultures.” Kaye said.

The event will have samples of ethnically diverse foods, crafts, and clothing. Everyone is invited to attend.

“We would like all clubs, students, faculty, and departments to attend. Everyone is welcome to our events.” Kaye said.

For more information on Women’s Center events, contact Natalie Kaye with the information above.

A calendar of the entire Brown Bag Lunch series can be found in the ad below, as well as at the Women’s Center.