Veteran’s Club looking for support

The Veteran’s Club at Bucks is looking for members and support throughout the community.

The Veteran’s Club has been a part of Bucks since the post-Vietnam War Era. The club’s main priority is to find veterans, help them with the transition to civilian life, and help them find the benefits and support they need to do so.

Mike Gonzalez, 29, a nursing major, is both the president of the club and an Army veteran. He states there are about 180 veterans throughout all three campuses- but only about 30 veterans show up to meetings. Student and Veteran support is needed in the club to help find local veterans and to help with the multiple fundraisers the club participates in for returning troops.

“Veterans can find it hard to transition back to civilian life,” Gonzalez says. “Our first priority is to find these veterans and help them with that transition.”

The Veterans club meets in the Lower Bucks Campus the last Thursday of every month at 12:15p.m and at the Newtown Campus every Tuesday at 12:15p.m in the Stars and Stripes Lounge.

Some notable fundraisers they have held for Bucks are the Adopt-a-Troop fundraiser, which collects food, and other essentials for returning Veterans, and the Warrior Project, which helps injured/disabled Veterans. The Veterans Club has even made local fundraisers for Bucks County Veterans in need.

Not only do they supply help by monetary means, the club is also a way for local veterans to get together to meet other people, and share stories and experiences.

Brian King, 27, liberal arts major and Army veteran, is also involved with the club and finds it to be a wonderful club to be involved in. “I love it.” He says, “I’m there every meet.”

Any form of participation in the club, whether it is just going to the meets or helping out with the fundraising, would be greatly appreciated.