Bucks Blood Drive

Giving blood to the American Red Cross has never been easier.

Thanks to the organizations new computer system, BioArch, returning donors will find a fast and easier process when giving blood at Bucks this semester. The college will hosted the blood drive on Friday, March 1 from 9 a.m. and 2 p.m. in the Gallagher Room.

“The system allowed for a much faster and more efficient process”, said Susan Hughes, Bucks’ blood drive coordinator. It required only a prior donor’s name and from there the system was able to find the donor’s information, cutting down on the time and hassle it takes to sign up.

The simpler sign up process encourages more people to schedule their donations in advance, helping the organization maximize donor turn out. It also allows funds for more practitioners to help the blood drive run more smoothly for donors

The college holds one blood drive for students, faculty and the public each semester. The blood drive averages 80 to 115 donors during the fall and spring semesters and roughly 70 donors during the summer session.

On Feb.26, Bucks already reached 50 percent of its turn out goal of 90 donor appointments and is expecting another 20 percent in the form of walk-ins on the day of the blood drive.

The new computer system was not the only component to making the blood drive a smooth and pleasant process. The volunteers that eventually return every semester help coordinate between the Red Cross, Hughes and the donors.

“They are typically the ones giving out juice and cookies, though their roles are much more significant to the blood drive than that.”, Hughes said. The volunteers, or “Red Cross angels” as Hughes described them, help explain the process to new donors, handle the bureaucratic workload and keep things running smoothly when there are technical difficulties.

“It was hectic, I didn’t realize how much organization was needed,” said Jordan Cox, 22, secondary education major, regarding his experience as a volunteer.

While Bucks was a favorable donation center since it is open to the public and walk-ins, “it is tied together by the commitment of all parties; the Red Cross, the volunteers and the donors, many of whom are a loyal base of Bucks employees, students and alumni,” Hughes said. “They make it such a success.”

Students and faculty can sign up online at redcrossblood.org to find other blood drives near them. For more information please contact Hughes at [email protected].