Bucks Improv Club looks to offer students an alternative outlet

What if you were told to act out a play, only there were no props, no lines, and you had to come up with your own character in a matter of minutes?

Hilarity ensues- especially when you are a part of Buck’s Improv club.

Reminiscent of an episode of “Saturday Night Live,” students create scenarios and characters for each other and act out scenes, which in most cases, leave others in stitches.

President of the Improv club, Andrew Frasier, 21, says that improvisational acting is a way to express yourself in acting without using props or scripts in a scene. Instead you would use your physical body as your prop.

“Improv is another way of fun comedy acting with games. These games are meant to help you with being comfortable in front of an audience or group of people.” Frasier says.

The meetings usually consist of games, trust, stress relief exercises and improvised skits meant to help actors think on their feet.

An all-time favorite game the actors play in the club is one known as “Zip Zap Zop.”In the game a group of actors stand in a circle and use pointing gestures and the phrases zip, zap and zop to improve on eye-contact and reacting to statements and gestures in a quick manner.

Fraser says the main goal of Improv club is to “expand your mind in acting and have fun while doing it.” It also allows students to just be able to act without fear of being judged.

Future plans for the club include the club’s yearly production called Bucks Live: a two day series which includes sketches that were developed by participants of the Improv Club. A definite date for this year’s production has not been announced.

Meetings for the Improv Club are on Tuesdays at 6:30 in the Gallagher Room. For more information, please contact Bill McLaughin at [email protected].