Bucks Open Door Club welcomes all

The Open Door Club (ODC) has much to offer this year and is trying to get more of the Bucks community more involved in their events.

Serving as vice-president of the club is Bert Mastropietro is a former council rock student who was in the marines for about eight years. Mastropietro is a second year biology major at Bucks and explained about his thoughts on what the ODC club has to offer this year.

“The primary goal for the club is to “grow, support and educate,” Mastropietro said. The other objective is to stop the hate and to make the hate factor quieter.

Mastropietro grew up in a closeted environment and told about how there was no gay leadership for him. So therefore he wants to give other students the leadership that he never had.

As far as involvement in the club everyone is welcome. Just because the Open Door Club, has a reputation of being gay, lesbian, bisexual, and transgender (GLBT) club doesn’t mean straight people aren’t welcome.

Mastropietro says “faculty and students, straight or gay” are welcome to join and support the ODC club here at Bucks.

“What everyone should know about the ODC club is that it’s not cheesy and we are really involved with the community, and the more people the better,” Mr. Mastropietro said.

Mastropietro plans on being more proactive about the community as he plans on getting out to the schools and local communities. He also wants to support and do some charity work.

The drag show is always a staple of the ODC and Mastropietro wants it to be a more polished and a broader base this year. With more support it will be a good time for everyone.

For some reaction some Bucks students weighed in on the upcoming events and their thoughts on the Open Door Club.

“I am looking forward to both, I kind of want to be in the drag show, but I most likely won’t do it, Dylan Myers a psychology major said. I am looking forward to the prom because I am running for king.”

Myers also gave his thoughts about why people should be open to joining the club.

“More people should join because it is a lot of fun you meet a lot of people who are all different, he said. You meet people all over the gender spectrum and sexuality. No one is boring in the club.”

The ODC also offers a form of comradery for its members as the everyday college life can be lonely at times.

“The best part about being in the LGBT community is knowing I am not alone, Myers said. It is lovely knowing I am not the only person to feel as though I was born into the wrong body. I have guys I can go to for advice on being transgender or ask them anything. And I don’t think it’s bad.”