Library renovations a novel idea

After years of students struggling to find comfortable and convenient work areas, new learning resources have been put in place at Bucks to help the students and faculty become more successful with the completion of the library.

“The primary reason for the renovation was to make support for students much easier to obtain. Previously the tutoring center was on a different floor from the library which was an inconvenience for many students,” said Maureen McCreadie, Dean of Learning Resources. “Now that the renovation is finished, students will have all of the support they need all in one area”

Students now have the ability to work in a number of areas to help improve their success. Many of the rooms that were renovated were made specifically to accommodate the needs of specific students.

For example, the new Recording/Practice Area in room L207b was made for all students but now helps specifically with students who need to practice their presentations. With a projector and laptop in the room, students can bring up to six friends and practice their presentation while getting comfortable speaking in front of others.

“Students many times have difficulty finding somewhere to rehearse their presentations or speeches,” McCreadie said. “Now, they have the resources to practice presenting in front of a group of people.”

Previously, many students had difficulty finding somewhere to study their work in a quiet area. Fixing this problem is the new “Shhh room” located in the back of the library with over 40 carrels for students to work in privacy without disturbance.

“With the amount of people in the library at once, it is often difficult for students to find a quiet place to concentrate without distractions, but that has all changed with the renovation,” said McCreadie.

A brainstorming area in Room L315 has also been added to the library built with dry-erase walls for students to work with people as a group and formulate ideas.     Two co-lab rooms have also been built which include a projector; dry-erase boards; a flat screen television and movable tables for students to work with other classmates.

The renovation also includes over 50 desktop computers and propeller-shaped tables to help students utilize their work space to the best of their abilities.

On the first floor of the library is a relatively new room called “MInDSPace.” This room was designed so students could work in groups for multimedia and instructional design projects. This room offers software like Adobe Premiere and Dreamweaver that many students may not have access to at home. This technology will help them work on posters, timelines, and presentations.

New elevators have also been implemented to satisfy the needs of students with mobility issues.

With all of the new technology and services available in the library, students will now be able to work in a larger and more comfortable setting. All of the rooms and services are available to reserve on the library website at www. Bucks.edu/library.

All of the resources are available in the library Monday-Thursday 8a.m to 9 p.m., Friday and Saturday 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m., and Sunday 1 p.m. to 5:30 p.m.