She’s the man!

John Dacpano as Jasmine Harlow
John Dacpano as Jasmine Harlow

One needs only to interact with John Dacpano for a few minutes to realize he is no ordinary man.
Born in the Philippines, Dacpano moved to America at the age of eleven- and it was in America where his eyes were opened to a whole new world, the world of drag performance.
“When I’m in drag, I like to make people happy; if they’re having a bad day I hope to make them have a better one” John says, while applying an OCC lip tar.
The winner of Bucks County Community College’s 2014 War of the Wigs, the 19-year-old Business Marketing student explains that his hobby began in the 11th grade, when he decided to experiment with makeup.
He’d observe his aunt’s make-up routine and endlessly watch YouTube tutorial on blending and contour.
He said that when he entered the competition it was simply for fun. “Because the competition was so strong this year, I never would have guessed the judges would’ve picked me for first place.”
Additionally, it was the debut of his character, Jasmine Harlow and the first year Dacpano was able to fully dress in drag for all the world to see, so it came as a surprise how humble he was during the interview when discussing his win.
A drag queen is (generally) a man impersonating a woman, or several women, for the purpose of entertainment or performance. They can range from those who do it as a job to those who do it as a form of artistic expression, or even as a simple hobby.
Although there may be a lot of stigma against drag performance, what Dacpano is doing isn’t as taboo as some may think: Cross-dressing for performance is an ancient art; in classic Shakespearean performances as well as in ancient Chinese theater, men would often play the parts of women because having women appear on stage was a cultural taboo.
He believes “Drag is a living art, and no one can ever tell you your art isn’t authentic” .
Much of Dacpano’s drag inspiration originates from Victoria Beckham’s fashion sense; her Louis Vuitton shoes and well-fitted dresses.
Going by the stage name Jasmine Harlow, Dacpano describes the character’s demeanor as a very well-put-together girl with a certain level of promiscuity and luxury. “Drag is an armor. When I don’t feel comfortable with myself I put on this different persona,” John says.
When asked what type of drag queen he was, John replied “I’m a comedy queen, but it just happens to be that I’m glamorous.”
On the topic of advice for men who wish to become future drag queens, Dacpano believes that “everyone should have the opportunity to live in a fantasy; you can have a so-called ‘double life’.”
To others, dealing with negative comments can be a struggle, but Dacpano disregards the negativity. “People will always have something to say, whether it be good or bad. It’s never what they call you, but what you answer to.” He adds, “Learn not to care about what others think, just do you.”
And “just doing him” is what he continues to do.