The Cutting Edge: More is changing than the seasons

godblessamericatzI guess I could admit that I’m a pretty lucky kid– no divorces in my life and I was lucky enough to be born in the suburbs.

So why is it I still let myself get stressed out around this time of year? I thought that perhaps it was just me, so I went around campus and asked around to figure out about the general stress level for students on campus.

I was surprised to find out how many people are afraid to talk to the newspaper. People are so worried about their public image these days that many will choose to not have their names published.

That didn’t stop them from voicing their opinions. A lot of people are quick to say they hate security or the police or the government, but how many people will actually let someone post that in the news.

That’s why I say more is changing than just the seasons. Americans are changing. The newer generations of Americans are owned by their jobs or the fear of finding one.

We’ve given birth to a new nation that is not afraid to voice their opinions–as long as nobody is watching. Can somebody explain to me this new trend?
If it came down to it, and we had to fight something as awful as Nazi Gemrany again, would we be able to? I know it sounds crazy, but would we really be able to?

One student told me that they think another World War will never happen again. I sure hope they are right.

In the past, we had no choice– there was this thing called the draft, and when it was instated, many people were forced off to battle whether they liked it or not. Would youth of today share that same resolve, to drop everything and fight for our country, or would a fear of death take over and keep our soldiers at bay?

As a young budding journalist, Richard Tregaskis is one of my heroes. He was a journalist and an author. Tregaskis took it upon himself in 1942 to join the military and accompany them in battle, recording everything that happened. This included defeat as well as victory. Dead marines as well as the enemy.

In his book “Guadalcanal Diary” he talks about the Marines and infantry he travelled with. Some were barely 18. Musicians, dancers, writers, factory workers. All normal people, in an extremely dangerous situation all for the sake of defending our country.

The book also recorded a lot of death and defeat, cataloguing the losses sustained in the first waves of World War II. Enough that it took a while for the US Government to allow him to display his pictures to the public.

The point I’m trying to make is that there’s no telling where this generation could go. I remember 9/11, because I was in high school at the time, and when it first happened, everyone was so patriotic and pro-America. Within a few years, people were back to hating Bush and talking about how they didnt’want to go overseas for an illegal war. People change their minds fast.

All in all though, I had a lot of fun trying to talk to people. I’ve noticed everyone’s a little stressed out because of the weather and the promise of mid-terms while having a whole ton of classes not even made up yet. People’s attitudes change as frequently as the weather though. As much as I heard peoplecomplain about this winter, I’m sure it won’t be long until they’re complaining about hot and humid Summer weather.

In closing, there’s really nothing we can do but hope for the best; hope that the righteous will outweigh the lazy of our generation that will be living in their parent’s basements until they are in their mid-40’s.

Another thing changing is one of my statements. in In the Feb. 25 issue, the Centurion said President Shanblatt announced a tuition increase “despite maintaining earlier that no such hike would be necessary.” In an interview with the Centurion last semester, Shanblatt said no tuition increase would be necessary for the 2013-2014 academic year, but did not rule out an increase beyond then. The Centurion regrets any misunderstanding.

So, in closing, don’t take your country for granted. Also, look out for potholes. And, get ready for the new season– I’m excited for it. Also in closing, we regret to inform you about a hiatus in the “Nintendo Hard” saga of critiques due to one of our editors being injured. Thank you for reading The Centurion!