Bucks app surprisingly useful

We live in an age of convenience. Everyone wants their information handed to them quickly and efficiently. Before the new Bucks app, we all understood the struggle of having to find a computer to check our registration status, college news, or our grades.

We also remember attempting the nearly impossible: navigating through the not-so-mobile-friendly Bucks website on our phones.

Fortunately, Ellucian, the developers of MyBucks and WebAdvisor, have come up with a solution to our cellular problems. The new Bucks App has arrived for Apple and Android users.

The app is a mobile-friendly version of the website, with features for Bucks news, the college calendar, athletic events, grades, registering, and even our class schedules.

The app is relatively easy to navigate, as long as you know what each feature does. The biggest concern a few students had was that most had no idea what the Messages feature was for.

Brant Steen, who works with web services at Bucks, was able to answer that question, saying, the Messages feature will be where your push notifications are stored.

Push notifications will be reminders for things like when registration opens and closes, and when payments are due. This feature will not tell students if the schedule for the day is modified due to inclement weather, but Steen said, “It might include that sort of stuff in the future.”

The app also includes other features such as the My Grades section that shows current and past grades received from any class taken at Bucks.

Be warned: the app shows official letter grades only, not grades from each assignment like Canvas does. When looking to get a specific grades, students still have visit Canvas or speak to professors.

The Register for Classes feature another feature of the app. Students can register for classes as long as they don’t have an outstanding balance, search for classes, view their descriptions, and view classes they have already registered for.

There is also a part of the app that allows students to call any campus without having to search for the phone number, and even get directions right there on the app.

The app does not have an email feature as of now. This will still be done on the Bucks website.

However, if you want to send an email, you still have to find a computer and log into MyBucks, because the app does not have a feature for email as of now.

Most students were interested in the My Class Schedule feature of the app.

Amber Horton, 19, a Pre-Allied Health Major at Bucks said “I like that I can actually see the class schedule for the day, instead of going into Web Advisor on my phone”.

My Class Schedule feature allows students to view their full schedule including online classes as well as start and end dates.

Some students still feel that the Bucks app could use some improvements and add-ons to be more effective.

The app has many features that can be helpful to students on the go, seeking fast information. With the tap of an icon, the Bucks website is at your fingertips.