‘Wear Teal Day’ event held to raise awareness about sexual assault

Bucks is yet again raising awareness for another great cause.

On Thursday, April 20, students and staff are asked to participate in “Wear Teal Day.” Some may be wondering what exactly this day is for and why it is so important to the Bucks community.

On “Wear Teal Day,” we are asked to wear this color for sexual assault victims. Not everyone is aware of how serious this issue is so Bucks is doing something about it. Teal is the color that represents sexual assault survivors. By wearing anything teal, whether it be a shirt, pants, shoes, bandana, etc. wearing the color will show Bucks’ support to those who have dealt with sexual abuse.

Sexual assault is a very common thing, yet very overlooked especially in colleges. According to statistics, 1 in 5 women and 1 in 16 men are sexually harassed in colleges.

19-year-old Bucks student Vito LoDuca openly spoke out on how he feels about the cause. “I feel as though sexual assault should be something that is more recognized. It happens way too often but you would never know.”

One of the most overlooked things about sexual assault victims is that is that majority of them will not report being assaulted because they think that no one will believe them. 63% of sexual assaults are not reported to the police.

According to the National Institute of Justice, 85 to 90% of reported by college students are assaulted by someone they know and most of the assaults happen on dates.

Lots of sexual assaults are reported to have happened at social gatherings such as college parties where students are drugging one another without the other persons’ knowledge.

Emily Gershenfeld, a psychology major right here at Bucks said that sexual assault isn’t something that should be looked over. “Personally, I think that sexual assault is an issue that most people don’t really think is reality. I’m glad that Bucks is attempting to raise awareness for the issue.”

“I’m sure just about everyone has heard of someone getting sexually assaulted but never really took it seriously. That’s the problem.” Gershenfeld went on to say how people don’t realize how real something like that is until they’re a victim of it.

Dekia Smith, director of counseling here at Bucks helped put this day together. “For the last three years, Bucks has made great effort to bring awareness about sexual assault. Since every April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month (SAAM), we have events like Wear Teal Day or have a speaker come to campus to educate students on sexual assault, domestic violence, and safe dating,”

Smith also says that its part of the colleges role to educate students on SAAM and to realize that it doesn’t just happen to women but to men, too. She expressed how strongly she felt about the issue personally and professionally.

When asked what outcome she would like to see, Smith said she hopes that the school exceeds the 500 signatures they received last year on the It’s On Us pledge from last Spring.

Counseling Services, The Open Door Club and Social and Behavioral Sciences Department is sponsoring two Sexual Assault Conferences this month on the April 12 (LBC) and the 19th (Newtown).

So please Bucks family. Come together to support victims of sexual assault by wearing the respected color. You never know when you’re going to come across someone who has been sexually assaulted.