Bucks Counseling Services Are One Call Away

Photo courtesy Unsplash

With this fall semester coming to an end, Dekia Smith, director of Bucks’ counseling services, shared information and gave advice on dealing with the stressors of college.

“The top noted stressors of college are maintaining the pace and rigor of coursework, transitioning from high school to college and balancing home, work/financial and family obligations,” Smith informed.

“Healthy ways they deal with stress is by working out, staying connected with friends and family, making time for fun (work-life balance) and even mindfulness exercises like yoga and meditation.”

She added that students turn to drugs, alcohol, and self-isolation when not coping with stress in a productive manner. To stay on a positive note, she recommended exercising for 20-30 minutes a day and claimed the best way to reduce stress is physically.

“You get a fantastic endorphin high; it actually may help with making healthy eating choices and helps you sleep better at night. All of these things make you a more productive person.”

As for mentally and emotionally coping with stress, Smith said to always “stay connected.”

“Talk to your friends and family members about your stress. You can even talk to a counselor or your professor as well. I’ve even seen students make great connections with other staff at the college including our Academic Success Center staff, Culinart staff in the cafe and librarians.”

She believes everyone at the college has its students’ best interest at heart and are more than welcoming to help those in need.

That being said, she highly recommends reaching out to Bucks’ counseling services. Students can email [email protected]. They can also visit their webpage at www.bucks.edu/counseling. Students can also call 215-968-8189 to make an appointment. Hours vary throughout the week at all of our campuses including virtual/phone support.

Lastly, if there is one remark she would want Bucks student to know about the college’s counseling services, she says, “We are here and we cannot wait to connect with you. Our services are free for Bucks students and we can help connect students with community resources if they need further care or resources that we don’t have here at the college.”