Students Tour 6ABC News with the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia

Melissa Stewart & Jayla Johnson

On March 30, 2019 students had the opportunity to tour 6abc News with the Broadcast Pioneers of Philadelphia.
College Students from the Tri-State area flooded into the studio shaking hands, smiling, and speaking about plans for the future.
Pat Delsi, Gray Hall, Niki Hawkins, Christie Ileto, and Chris Sowers were among the many journalists students had the pleasure of meeting.
The tour included the weather room, the newsroom, the studios, the outside weather forecast, and the room where all news is recorded for T.V.
Students had the opportunity of participating in a sample news report at the 6abc news desk, speaking about Temple University and a robbery from a local church.
Ileto, shared wise advice to never say “no” and always “fight hard”.
Ileto is also a certified ballet teacher, and many people were not encouraging to her during her journey. But, she proved herself and never let anyone get to her. As a journalist now, she doesn’t take ‘no’ for an answer. “Unless I have asked seven times and it is going nowhere, of course,” added Ileto.
Pat Delsi also encouraged all sophomores and juniors to get involved with as many internships as possible.
Delsi has spent a total of 66 years in this field and encouraged students to find a job they really enjoy, “I have never felt like I have worked a day in my life,” he says.
Delsi’s words of advice were very motivating to the students since he was once a pioneer in the program.
Sowers went very into depth on his career, and explained how he made his way into 6abc. He had a lot of experience with using the weather program, which gave him a head start to 6abc. His internships really helped him learn and use the technology for the forecast.
Hawkins was very enthusiastic on staying connected. Hawkins wanted students to share social media accounts, phone numbers, with each other in order to stay connected. She even took selfies with the students.
Leigh Richards also attended the event. Many will recognize her from the voice of 102.9 MGK.
Towards the end of the symposium everyone received a water bottle, with a pair of 6abc sunglasses and a keychain.
Hall told students that if anyone had questions to reach out to him, and don’t hesitate.
This was a once in a lifetime experience. Students watched one another go on air, read the script and meet other college students who are all pursuing similar careers.
Broadcast Pioneers shared student’s videos on their Youtube Channel which can be searched as Broadcast Pioneers College Sample Read 3-30-19 at 6ABC or http://www.broadcastpioneers.com/bp12/3-30-19.html