The Holidays on a College Budget

The holidays are just around the corner along with the holiday expenses, which can become an obstacle for many students.
Holiday shopping can bring upon a little anxiety. You may feel as if you can’t give your loved ones what they deserve in return of all the good they do for you.
It can leave an individual with a sense of guilt, but even on a college budget, it is feasible to give a loved one a unique and creative gift.
Meghan Roth, a 20-year-old communications major, feels guilty for not being able to provide a gift to her family.
She said, “This is an issue I face every year, especially when it comes to my mother. My mother does so much for me, and then the holidays come along and I feel like garbage because I can’t afford everything she deserves”.
Roth also acknowledged the fact that she was taught that money can’t buy love, but she still feels overwhelmed, as do many.
Amy Kurtz, a 19-year-old environmental science major said she turns craft stores for holiday gifts.
“This is an issue I face almost every year, but I’ve learned to deal with it. For me personally, I am a very creative person, so I can go to my local crafts store and make something. I believe these types of gifts are more worth cherishing, so I recommend to all the creative people out there to buy some low-priced materials and create something with meaning, “said Kurtz.
Another idea for holiday shopping was recommended by not only a student, but a mother herself.
Maddie Funk, a 47-year-old criminal justice major, said “I have two children, ages 16 and 19. They both go to school and work. Around the holidays they’re always asking, ‘Mom, what do you want for Christmas?’ and I tell them not to spend their money on me. I know how much they love me regardless of what little gifts I get. They never listen to me though; they always end up getting me gifts! My children hit every thrift store in town and buy me all sorts of cute things. I think it’s an amazing idea and I love it.”
Thrift stores have so much to offer for cheap prices. The neat thing about thrift shopping is it’s always a surprise, you never know what you’re going to find. There is always a wide variety of unique things to pick from. You could end up with the perfect complimenting gift.
Bucks will also be offering the Bucks Holiday Helper Event on Dec. 9-11, in the Solarium. This event allows students to select two to three gifts for free to then be wrapped for your friends and family, as long as the student brings their ID.
Many students also recommend to take advantage of “Black Friday” and “Cyber Monday” as well. These types of events bring great sales allowing the chance to save money.
Holidays are indeed a time of stress, but it’s also a time of love and joy, which trumps gifts. There are all sorts of ways to figure out gifts, it’s just a matter of getting creative and fun!