Coronavirus Safety Tips

With recent reports of the Coronavirus appearing in the U.S., Bucks has taken precautions to ensure that the virus does not infect the campus.
The new Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is believed to have originated in the town of Wuhan, China. Since then, it has made headlines as it spreads as far as to the U.S.
The Department of Health and the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued guidance to help prevent the spread of the virus. While there have been no cases at the college, the faculty has been taking the CDC’s advice in the worst-case scenario and have decided to share safety measures about the virus.
Dennis McCauley, the Director of security and safety at Bucks, explained that it was an easy decision to make about sharing this information. “We wanted to share some useful information that might be useful regarding the topic,” said McCauley.
One of these tips include looking out for the symptoms that the virus causes to those infected. These symptoms include coughing, fevers, and shortness of breath.
It is believed that the virus may remain dormant for as early as two days or as late as 14 days
after initial exposure.
Transmission is believed to be often caused by person-to-person contact.
Devin Nagengast, 19, a social work major from Lambertville believes that the virus poses a threat to those infected. “It seems to be very scary and most cases that I’ve heard of it tends to be elderly people,” said Nagengast.
While the virus is not widespread in the U.S. as of now, the CDC warns that anyone who has traveled to mainland China within the last 14 days and feels sick with the symptoms above that they seek medical aid immediately.
Also, to prevent the infection of others, the CDC and Bucks have advised that those who do have the virus to not travel, avoid contact with others, cover your mouth and nose while sneezing or coughing, and to wash your hands thoroughly.
Some people believe that the college is overreacting to the situation, including Joe Pirmavera, 19, a liberal arts major from Levittown. “We shouldn’t take it as seriously since it isn’t as local,” said Pirmavera.
Due to the growing concern that the virus could become more widespread in the county, the U.S. has restricted air travel to and from China. This action has garnered mixed opinions from
citizens.
Nagengast believes that the decision to restrict travel isn’t warranted because of the virus’ rather limited presence in the U.S.
“I think it’s a bit extreme, but it depends on how many people are infected,” said Nagengast.
Pirmavera on the other hand, believes that the decision will help keep the virus contained until doctors find a way to effectively combat it.
“They should get more restrictions with travel, and make sure that the passengers belongings that they bought are checked for any traces of the virus.”
Even with some of these doubts, the college doesn’t want to take any chances of a potential outbreak and stands by its issue.
It is unclear how long the Coronavirus will continue to make headlines and infect people throughout the world, but as long as people follow these guidelines, the virus can be better prevented should it ever emerge at Bucks.